fuel cell questions

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok so in trying to remove the filler tube to drop my gas tank I ended up breaking the tank where the filler tube goes in.... So get another tank or fuel cell? im leaning against fuel cell for cost but I dont want any gas smell in the car is this a problem with fuel cells? Can I run a fuel cell and mechanical pump? In case you cant tell im a complete noob and need some answers to my dumb questions.

1. You can run a fuel cell with a mechanical pump.
2. If the cell is properly vented and you don't spill fuel filling it, you don't get a smell.
3. I think getting a different tank or having the one you have repaired,is the most cost efective. my 2 cents.

Do you plan on racing the car......EVER? If so, then you need to pick up a NHRA rule book. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea either way. Cause with a fuel cell there's a specific way to mount it pre NHRA if you want to run it on a sanctioned track. All that hooha said. I'd sling another tank in it. lol

Another tank would be quicker, You mentioned getting another fuel sending unit why would you need that?

well I needed new lines and switch to 3/8ths sending unit. I was going to use the gas tank... No I dont plan to race... maybe a few runs but a street car.. I can get a fuel cell and sending with sending unit from summit cheaper then I can just buy a tank

well I needed new lines and switch to 3/8ths sending unit. I was going to use the gas tank... No I dont plan to race... maybe a few runs but a street car.. I can get a fuel cell and sending with sending unit from summit cheaper then I can just buy a tank

Then I would run a new tank and 3/8 sender. You ain't stupid. That's a good plan. Plus, it'll be NHRA legal long as it's all installed right so no worries at the tech tower if you ever decide to run it.

im thinking for $170 I can have the fuel cell, mounting brackets and sending unit and bend new lines. so for about $200 can have everything I need besides a few fittings

I think that's probably in the ballpark. You should plan on a good return system, too. That will take some burdon off the fuel pump and assure a supply of COOL fuel to the engine, rather than fuel sittin in the carburetors and gettin heat soaked. Sounds to me like you know what to do.

I think that's probably in the ballpark. You should plan on a good return system, too. That will take some burdon off the fuel pump and assure a supply of COOL fuel to the engine, rather than fuel sittin in the carburetors and gettin heat soaked. Sounds to me like you know what to do.

Didnt plan for a return line. How do you run a return line to a fuel cell?

I dont think so... savings is to great.. If my tank was good yeah I would but I can buy the fuel cell and sending unit for about $50 cheaper then just a tank alone. Plus its all new. not counting Id still have to buy a sending unit there is another $60+

At any rate, I keep this for reference. Don't mind all the brand names. This is pretty typical for a good fuel system. You can run the return the same on a cell as you can on a tank.

Attachments

• FUEL SYSTEM.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 166
I got an EXCELLENT cell with foam, fittings and straps from a guy on here awhile back for $80 shipped, fits right down in a mopar spare tire well.. I'd run a wanted ad on here if ya wanna save some cash...

Ok so in trying to remove the filler tube to drop my gas tank I ended up breaking the tank where the filler tube goes in.... So get another tank or fuel cell? im leaning against fuel cell for cost but I dont want any gas smell in the car is this a problem with fuel cells? Can I run a fuel cell and mechanical pump? In case you cant tell im a complete noob and need some answers to my dumb questions.
How do you..break..a gas tank?LOL.I think maybe you just broke the seal around the opening where the tube goes in?Can you elaborate more about exactly what you,ve done?

Well after consulting my book on how to remove the filler tube. I removed the screws in both the quarter panel and the grommet on the trunk floor. And it said to twist and use lubricant if needed. So I hit it with a few shots of lube and started twisting it back and forth. I’m thinking that the metal around the tube was fatigued and gave out because I heard a crunch and then I started cussing. So I cut the filler tube with sawzall then dropped the tank and seen what I had done. The metal around where the filler tube goes in gave way and was all broke up and cracked. And yes this was all with my bare hands

Wow,must,ve been a crusty tank.Personally I would put an ad up for a new one(stock)They can be had cheap,easy to replace,maintain stock appearance.I have a tube here you can have,just pay shipping.I hope you haven,t tossed the tube gasket?You will be cruisin with your kids in this car..right?

The filler tube runs through the gasket,it screws to the floor of the trunk pan.You would,ve had to remove it to get the tube out?

-
Back