Fuel cooler

-

70Duster340

Reaction score
Watching an episode of Engine Masters today, and the discussion was, obviously, fuel coolers and the effects of cooler fuel on engine power. The best way they found was to utilize a transmission cooler that had as part of the cooler an electric fan. I thought this was intriguing. Has anyone tried this? It would necessitate running more fuel line and most likely have to be mounted in front of the radiator, but it would also add to the cooling of the radiator.

It did make a difference in power. They tried a cool can and CO2 sprayed on the carb. The tranny cooler seemed to work the best.

What does anyone think?

Sure it's been done a lot. Those guys didn't invent anything. I've used power steering coolers before. They work well because they're small and compact. The power steering coolers are a stacked plate cooler just like a transmission cooler. At least the good ones are. The Ford trucks from the 1970s usually have them.

How much did it help? Did you use an electric fan as well to help cool the fuel in the stacked plate cooler?

How much did it help? Did you use an electric fan as well to help cool the fuel in the stacked plate cooler?
No, I just mounted it in front of the radiator off to the side. It stopped heat soak after a run while it was in the pits, so it did something. No fan necessary as long as it's in the flow of air.

David vizard has a video on his YouTube channel called “buy a can of beans & really boost power that shows how much a cool can will boost power. It has graphs that show before and after power on the dyno. That will give you an idea of the benefit of a fuel cooler.

If you have a 300 hp engine, the benefit may be minimal with the exception of heat soak after a hit like RRR says. Then again if you have a 3500 hp street outlaws deal, the benefit could be substantial. I can see no downside to having one.

The tranny cooler w/e-fan was a better idea in my mind because of not having to replace the ice.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Installing a stacked plate electric coolers for the fuel system can indeed help improve performance by cooling the fuel, which can lead to denser air-fuel mixtures. I didn't use an electric fan specifically for the fuel cooler, but having proper airflow around the cooler can enhance its effectiveness.

-
Back