Fuel dumping from booster venturi

-

Badass Hemi

Reaction score
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has seen this problem. I have a 68 Hemi Barracuda Super Stock car. It has a 572 ci 900+ HP race Hemi with a pair of 800 cfm Edelbrocks. The problem is on the front carburetor from the front right booster only, fuel starts dumping at 2500 rpm. Fuel pressure is at 6 psi, float levels are all good, swapped out the booster, main jet, booster gasket with all new parts and the problem is still there. I would appreciate any input.
Thanks

Troy with his hemi dart had similar problem with repro holley hemi carbs when cruising around in the car.

He had to run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Forgot what he had to set it at.

Usually with AFB/AVS style carbs, fuel dumping like that is a float issue. I would get it at idle though.

I'm sort of surprised you're running edelbrock carbs with a 900 hp race hemi. I wonder if they have the adjustability for street driving a 900 hp setup like yours. Stuff like adjustable: air bleeds, secondary throttle plate position, 4 corner idle circuits, etc, etc.

Thanks for the reply. This is a race only car. These came on the motor, they were not my choice due to the lack of everything you just noted. Some of the guys I run with use them with good results. I figured I would give them a try. Also I should note that they have "been gone through by someone with experience" The float levels are right and I have verified this by popping the lids and observing the fuel level. The fuel dumping off idle from only one side has me puzzled. I'm about ready to switch to Holly's and be done with it!

Its the float and / or the needle and seat. Remember,unlike a Holley each fuel bowl feeds one primary and secondary barrel. And when you set the float set it to spec for float drop also. To much drop can allow the needle to stick wide open. This is what I remember doing when I had my stage 2 max wedge with original carbs. If the newer carbs are different let me know!

Its the float and / or the needle and seat. Remember,unlike a Holley each fuel bowl feeds one primary and secondary barrel. And when you set the float set it to spec for float drop also. To much drop can allow the needle to stick wide open. This is what I remember doing when I had my stage 2 max wedge with original carbs. If the newer carbs are different let me know!

agree w/ hangnout !

May want to change the power valve in my experience a blown power valve will cause fuel to drip out the venturies at idle. Also too low of a number power valve will do the same.

Brian

May want to change the power valve in my experience a blown power valve will cause fuel to drip out the venturies at idle. Also too low of a number power valve will do the same.

Brian

Eddys don't use a power valve. They use metering rods. MT

Thank you all for the replies. I've done and checked everything suggested in the previous replies and decided to throw in the towel and order 2 new carbs (Holley 750 Ultra XP's). I'm going to bolt them on out of the box and see what happens, I will let you know. If anybody is interested in a pair of 800 cfm. Edelbrocks let me know.
Thanks, Mike

-
Back