Fuel fill tube for 71 Duster

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
I need some advice on this one. I did a search with no luck so lets see what the experts say. Here is a picture of the fuel tube I removed from the tank. It is rusted out and I can not find anyone who sells them. Is there a way to clean the old one and treat it or does anyone know a place to get one? I just got a new tank, lines, and sender so this is my only roadblock to getting the fuel system restored. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Attachments

• DSCN3092.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN3093.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 146
exhaust shop can make one minus the inside baffle, just take that on to them. maybe if you can get that baffle out you can clean it up and use it?

if you take a wire wheel real hard to the outside, all that will come off, and to get the inside, i used my sandblaster. looked like new

I have a correct 71 spare,if its early and not later,p.m. me if interested.

I soked mine in Evaporust then used steel wool to polish it up. For the black rubber boot thing that holds the tube in place and screws to the trunk, i cleaned that off good and then sprayed it with black Plastidip, a rubberized spray coating. bought it at homedepot. it all came out nice.

72 and up slide in from the outside. 71 and back go in from the inside. 71 is on its own. 70 has a vent line in the neck. I eliminated the (Collision Impact Protection / vent tube ) in the trunk of my 71 and added a vent line from a 70. I kept my 71 cap so it would still be flush with the body. 72 and up the screws thread into the body. 70 71 the screws thread into the neck. I will put the tube back in my other 71 I am restoring for appearance but it will not be operational for safety reasons. It wasn't a bad idea to send the fuel into the headliner on impact to protect the fuel igniting from outside sparks. But what happened when you opened the door to get out. OOP's dome light. Wonder why it was one year only. Could have bought Pinto.

Thank you all for the inputs. The outside has cleaned up very nicely so now I am going to try and salvage the inside by trying the evaporust idea. Is there a way to treat the tube afterwards to prevent the rust from coming back?

-
Back