Fuel Filler Neck Problem!

-

Cliff'sDodge

Cliff's66Dart
Reaction score
I can't, for the life of me, get my fuel filler neck back into the tank. I've heated the grommet, boiled it, lubed it. What else can I do? Unless...the fuel filler neck is the wrong one? Mine is a 2" OD. 1966 Dart 270 4 Door Sedan.

is the tank out? did you get a new grommet and or neck? i use a thin wipe of wheel bearing grease

If the tank is in the car tight you may not be getting the right angle. I had to drop the tank and with another person holding the neck, position the tank so they go in at the same time.

Dawn dishwashing liquid. Some of the tank grommets are really a hard material. Some go in easy and some very hard.

Dawn dishwashing liquid. Some of the tank grommets are really a hard material. Some go in easy and some very hard.

Yup! Dish liquid works great! Had the same problem so I used some steel wool to clean up the outer surface of the fill tube and used some dish liquid. Worked perfectly!

If your filler neck has an outside diameter of 2", it's the wrong one for that car. It should be 1 3/4" in diameter.

get the correct size grommet, grease it, and get it started at the filler tube, I used a 2x4 between the tank and the frame, put some (a bit) pressure on it and "thump" it slid in. Just make sure it's lined up good.

-
Back