fuel gauge sender

-

robs 67plymouth

motown graffiti crusier
Reaction score
my fuel gauge used to work when got the car . took out the sending unit ran a wire from the wire that hooks to sending so i can turn key on inside car with sending unit in my hand. works when i ground th side of round cap. but when sending unit in tank hook wire up to ground nothing ive tryed to take a scewdriver and scribe me a new clean piece of metal on sending unit and nutin dont work when i had it in my hand i grounded the side of it and worked fine brass float is fine . has gas when tryed to undo ring gas was comin out just dont want to ground on face of sending unit?

there is supposed to be a metal ground strap that goes from the main fuel line on the car and crosses over the rubber line to the line that is part of the sending unit.you can use a hose clamp to attach a piece of wire or metal to the fuel line and clamp it then cross over the rubber piece and clamp it to the metal line on the fuel sending unit

thanks for lookin at my post . just took out sending unit tryed it again wasnt doing anything when i moved arm noticed the little arm that sweeps wasnt makin contact took some needle nose bent a little so it hits the contact put back in and bam!! works like a charm

there is supposed to be a metal ground strap that goes from the main fuel line on the car and crosses over the rubber line to the line that is part of the sending unit.you can use a hose clamp to attach a piece of wire or metal to the fuel line and clamp it then cross over the rubber piece and clamp it to the metal line on the fuel sending unit

You just discovered that sometimes you can actually fix the sending units! The metal wiper gets bent and opens up resulting in no contact to the wire-wound resistor. I have also seen corrosion that can sometimes be cleaned up and things work again.

You just discovered that sometimes you can actually fix the sending units! The metal wiper gets bent and opens up resulting in no contact to the wire-wound resistor. I have also seen corrosion that can sometimes be cleaned up and things work again.

what seemed to happen was the arm from send unit has 2 bushings on each end that hold the rod there seemed to have play in it from years of goin up and down i noticed that if i held the arm at a certain pos it worked and when i moved it other side it didnt work. so i moved the sweep so it would contact on each side of the played out arm.

That sweeping contact once had a stanmped button like end. Many times it is worn away to a hole in its end or even more worn to just 2 tiny points reamining. Scewing around with it can make it work again, for a while anyway.
Good luck

-
Back