fuel gauge

-

g49bridges

Reaction score
I had to replace my entire fuel system on my 74 duster...tank, lines, sending unit, etc. Now my fuel gauge always says full. Stuck there and never moves. I do have sending unit ground strap on the fuel line as well. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Maybe a bad sending unit? Also, does anyone know the ohm range for the gauge?

There's about 10 kazillion threads on this.

There are 4 major componets to the 'system'

The wiring and terminals

the voltage limiter which regulates voltage to the temp / fuel gauges (and oil, in Ralleye cluster)

The gauge unit itself

and the sender

Start by measuring the sender resistance with the tank empty. You can access the wire by disconnecting the tail harness in the left kick panel connector

Go to MyMopar and download a factory service manual and wiring diagrams

HERE is just one thread on this

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=329012

In the thread above, the expected sender resistances are in YELLOW in the second photo from the top

Factory ohm rating is approximately 73-10
Try unplugging the connector at the tank and see if the gauge drops, and if it does something about the sender is grounded where it shouldn't be.

If it doesn't then the sender wire might be pinched somewhere.

There are a few different places that can cause that to happen and these are the most common easy ones to eliminate first.

You can make your own ground strap. Sounds like float is stuck. Not that hard to replace.

Factory ohm rating is approximately 73-10
Try unplugging the connector at the tank and see if the gauge drops, and if it does something about the sender is grounded where it shouldn't be.

If it doesn't then the sender wire might be pinched somewhere.

There are a few different places that can cause that to happen and these are the most common easy ones to eliminate first.
Good first steps. If the gauge does drop to below E when you disconnect the sender wire at the tank, then measure the resistance into the sender to ground. It ought to be 10 ohms + or -. If that is the case, then likely the float is stuck in the up (full position) as suggested.

Go to MOPARFINS.COM I was having the same problems years ago . They have a pretty good read.

-
Back