Fuel guage wiring question.

-

demon700

Reaction score
I am trying to dianose my lack of a fuel gauge. I started with replacing the ground that had come off the sending unit, that being the most obvious. Then, I stuck a test light in the plug for the sending unit, and nothing. I traced it up to the plug behind the d/s kick panel, and the terminal for the sending unit is not gettting power. Is the next step checking the voltage regulator behind the cluster? Where is the voltage regulator fed from? Any help is greatly appreciated.

There are at least two gauges that share a common path. Power comes from the key, goes to the "voltage limiter" (inside the fuel gauge on some cars, a separate component on others) and the voltage is dropped to a pulsing 12V approximately the equivalent of 5V or so

THIS lower/ pulsing voltage feeds the fuel, the temp, and the oil gauge if you have one

From there each gauge goes to it's own sender to ground.

Some of the troubles popping up lately:

First of course, is the pins on the cluster connector. These become loose and corroded, so the gauges may not be getting power

Then 'is the instrument regulator/ voltage limiter' working?

(If the opposing gauge (temp) is working, at least you know the gauge power to the limiter is OK, and the limiter is working.)

These (limiters) can go bad, as well as lose contact. On my old 67, originally, the spring contacts which the limiter plugs into were not actually making contact with the PC board. I saw in a photo just yesterday on here, that someone making repop boards solders these to the board. I already did so on mine

Also, the nuts for the gauges may be loose/ corroded where they make contact with the board, and of course

the pin on the board connector for the sender may be loose as previously mentioned

and you may have a corroded connector or broken wire.

Once again, does you other gauge work?

In any case, it's time to pull the cluster. Not that difficult. Drop the steering column and get to it.

thanks for the reply. I have swapped the /6 out for a 318, and put in a set of after market under the dash oil, temp, and volt gauges, so I didn't hook up the temp in the cluster. I have had the cluster out a few times now, but never really paid much attention to the fuel gauge connections. I was just wondering how it was fed so I can work my way back. Thanks again for the info, I think I am going to pull it tomorrow and see whats what.

What year/ model you have, and do you have a service manual?

-
Back