fuel guage works on occasion??

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
73 valiant ive had it two years and the guage has never worked. ground the sender wire out and guage goes past full. in the last few months the guage would read what looks like the correct fuel level and i get all happy cause its never worked. then i park a while start the car and its back to laying past e and stays that way for weeks. any ideas to the sudden occasional movement.

You probably have a bad ground if the gauge is intermittent. If your temp gauge is ok then the voltage limiter is ok. Could be the sending unit in the tank but check out the ground first.

Also, if you haven't already, check the sending wire that comes up in the middle back area of the trunk. Mine was a blue wire and someone had spliced it before and had a bad connection. Isn't there also a ground connection to the sending unit?

the ground strap looks good as does the wire to the sender. may run a new ground wire just to be sure. just kinda strange after almost 2 years its working once and a while.. whats the best way to add a ground? was amazed at all the post on fuel guages lol

-
Back