Fuel Injection on a /6

-

slantysix

SlantySix
Reaction score
Anyone done fuel injection on a slant six?? I heard you can use a 84-86 Gm 3.8 set up. Anyone have any ideas??? Has anyone done this??? Pictures???

I've got an injected 225. It's running a MegaSquirt controller and I had a local machine shop modify an old Clifford manifold for multiport EFI.

i had wondered about this as well....jeep cherokees are plentiful and cheap around here...wonder why you couldnt rob everything needed off an old 4.0 liter?

i had wondered about this as well....jeep cherokees are plentiful and cheap around here...wonder why you couldnt rob everything needed off an old 4.0 liter?

The Jeep system is a sequential system. You would need to modify the damper and some other stuff out front to get it to work properly.

The system that I've seen over on SlantSix.Org is slick using the early MPFI from the mid 80s GM 3.8 liter V-6. (Later units are also sequential and you run into the same trigger issues.) The article includes the shopping list necessary to get it to work. The fuel rail is the only thing that can not be obtained from the GM donor car. As I recall, the parts run about $150 at Pick 'n Pull prices. The manifold needs to be machined to fit the injectors. Some of the aftermarket units have bosses cast in that were probably intended for nitrous, but work well for FI.

You could, but you'd have to do a bit of fabrication to get its distributor pick-up in a slant six distributor, and you would also need to swap its crank trigger over to the slant. All injected 4.0s were crank triggered - and they often used rather unusual trigger designs, so something like an MSD crank trigger kit won't help. Also, there's almost no tuning devices for any of the computers they used.

-
Back