Fuel issues

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey all quick post here.
I recently put a new fuel tank in my 69 valiant and have created an issue somewhere.
If I leave the car for more than a day, the fuel drains down to the point where I have to crank it for a good while in order to bring fuel back up to the carb. I thought maybe there could be an air leak somewhere allowing the pressure back down. But all the possible areas seem to be OK. HMMMM lil help here? thx Donnie

What type of carb do you have. Seems to me the fuel tank would not have anything to do with a no start. On a holley carb theres enough gas for 20 seconds or maybe 30 before its dry. Even a Eddy carb should be good for at least 10 seconds. Maybe the carb has a leak and the fuel tank and lines are fine. Sometimes things break right after another one. Unless its F. I. , its in the carb, not fuel lines or tank.

I have an edelbrock 650 man. choke. well I definately wont rule out the carb as of right now but I have the glass type filter about 8 inches in front of the carb and I can see it has no fuel in it. none! Even after a few seconds of cranking, it doesnt have any in it. It seems to take about a solid 10-15 seconds of cranking in order to get fuel up there. It seems a bit wierd also, that when it is running that the filter is only half full and you can see that there doesnt seem to be much fuel pressure. Yet it has no problems idleing or running for several minutes at a higher rpm. Like I say though it still wont have much fuel running through the filter. Hmmm I dont get it. Also the fuel pump is new since I sucked a bunch of crap outta the tank with the old one.

Are you running a vented cap first comes to mind, tank will have a vacuum after you shut it off and draw it back into the tank, also advise you get rid of the glass fiter as I have seen several car fires due to glass tube breaking...!

nah I dont have a vented cap but I do have the filler tube that has a vent tube at the top which follows back down the tube and drains under the car.
Good point about the fuel filter. Im gonna go ahead and change it!

-
Back