Fuel Line Return

-

josekh7

Reaction score
Hey Guys so i am setting up my fuel system with a 1/2 inch fuel line to my regulator which will be a return style regulator to combat vapor lock. How big should i make my return line (diameter)? can i get away with 3/8 or 5/16?

Hey Guys so i am setting up my fuel system with a 1/2 inch fuel line to my regulator which will be a return style regulator to combat vapor lock. How big should i make my return line (diameter)? can i get away with 3/8 or 5/16?

yes.

A phenolic spacer and maybe a heat plate should help too.

Thank Ethonol. :wack:

Let us know if it helps, I might need to do this too if it does.

i really dont want to use a space since im trying to keep the original hood. but its not the first time i heard i might have to do this.. Dropping a 440 into my 70 dart

You can make the return the same diameter as the supply if you like, as long as you run a return style regulator, because the regulator is the return orifice.

If you are running 1/2 supply I'd run AT LEAST 3/8 return

I suppose it would kindof depend on how much fuel you will be returning. If you are gonna be pumping 300 gallons per hour around in a circle, well then,you will need a large return. But if just 50 gph is going round and round, then, well, you get the point.

well let me ask a more straight forward question my set up right now is a dead head set up no return just a regulator whats the pros and cons of return vs non return

well let me ask a more straight forward question my set up right now is a dead head set up no return just a regulator whats the pros and cons of return vs non return

Pros: Saves stress on your fuel pump, keeps fuel cooler, helps with vapor lock, return style regulators also usually flow better than a dead head

Cons: Have to run a whole other fuel line to the back

Barry Grant recommends the return line be as big or larger than the feed line. I run -8 feed and -8 return.

Anyone running a "Pee Line" back to the tank. Pro System carbs recommended a line that runs in-between the Carb/ fuel log and the tank with a 0.35 jet restrictor to help cool fuel and help with vapor lock. I have been thinking about doing this and wondered if others have tried it and if so how it worked?

If you are running a return regulator close to the carb you don't need one.

But they do work if you don't have a return regulator. That type of return is what "I started with" to prevent boiling / vapor lock. I used 1/4" which was not large enough when I stepped up to EFI. I used a Wix 33040 / 33041 filter which has a built in return orifice

"This type" of return was first used (Mopar) on HP 440 and 426 cars AND THEY WORKED!!

WIX-33040.jpg

67dart please explain a bit more are you replying to the statement right above you? and how does that filter work the one you posted?

-
Back