Fuel line size

-

Csommers

Reaction score
Trying to determine what size fuel line to run on my car. The fuel cell is a -10 an outlet and the carb is a QFT 750 with a 3/8" input nipple. I'm going to be using an inline pump mounted under the rear of the car and filter in the rear as well. Should I run the -10 an from the cell to pump and filter and than change to -6 or -8 an or will -10 be ok all the way up to the carb? Just not sure because I've never worked with something only requiring a low psi. Or would I be better off running -6 or -8 an from the cell al the way up? Thanks!

How much horsepower are you trying to feed?

Big difference in the fuel line size requirements between a stock slant 6 and a stroked big block...

You can run a large size to the carb and then neck it down to feed each side. If your carb has 3/8 inlets, I would say as long as there is no sealing issue with the next size up you would be OK. Mating it with the same size is what I might do to keep it simple. Is there is a size difference in the -6 & 3/8 even worth talking about? It's the inside of the line I forget about, the exact size that is.

Oh! 3/8 line feeds angood amount of power. What are you doing?

Please don't say your going with flexible line from the back of the car to the front? Ouch! Hard plumb it up to the front and use as short as possible flex line.

Sorry knew I left some info out! Car is a 69 dart with a 400 stroked to a 470. Power wise I don't know the numbers. It's got a huge cam it in.

Please don't say your going with flexible line from the back of the car to the front? Ouch! Hard plumb it up to the front and use as short as possible flex line.

Yes, I've had a couple talons and other vehicles with braided SS from the tank up and have never had an issue.

When his **** burns to the ground, next time he will do it differently.

When his **** burns to the ground, next time he will do it differently.

Glad to see everyone is so supportive of a first time Mopar owner.

I've never had any issues with PTFE lines leaking so I'll let you know when my **** doesn't burn. Thanks for the advice.

Glad to see everyone is so supportive of a first time Mopar owner.

I've never had any issues with PTFE lines leaking so I'll let you know when my **** doesn't burn. Thanks for the advice.

I am completely supportive. I simply prefer hard line everywhere except where flexible line is absolutely necessary. It's simply my opinion.

If it makes you go running for a safe space, then so be it.

I am completely supportive. I simply prefer hard line everywhere except where flexible line is absolutely necessary. It's simply my opinion.

If it makes you go running for a safe space, then so be it.

Why would I need a safe place?

I asked a question and your responsive was basically "hey you're an idiot for wanting to do it your way but I'm not going to explain why"

I'm not upset or anything just look for suggestions or recommendations on doing it the right way or safer way. What's the benefit of using minimal braided flex line opposed to running it from tank to pump to FPR to carb?

Run -10 from cell to pump and -8 from pump to carb.

PTFE works well.

Oh don't get smug now, RRR probably doesn't even realize that his comments completely epitomize everything you were just saying. But don't think for a second he'll ever admit he just totally proved your point, even if he does eventually realize it.

As for the fuel line situation. Most PTFE lined -6 AN hose has an internal diameter of ~.320", which is pretty much the same as 3/8" hardline (3/8" is the OD of the hardline, not the ID which is closer to .320"). Personally, I would still use as much hard line as is practical. Not because the braided line is going to leak or anything, PTFE lined hose is pretty tough stuff. But it's still synthetic material, and it still has some kind of life span. Eventually it will get brittle, or break down, or even possibly react with some new fuel additive sometime in the future. If you've pulled old rubber fuel line off a car you know it doesn't last forever (yes I realize PTFE is not 1970's rubber hose). Now maybe none of that happens for a long time, maybe even longer than your car is going to be used which makes it pretty moot. Maybe it's overkill, but I know the stainless hard line isn't going to get brittle or deteriorate with age, and nothing should react with it. And unlike the stock steel line it won't rust, assuming it's really stainless.

There's also a pretty big pressure rating discrepancy, just looking at Summit's numbers the max operating pressure for their PTFE lined braided hose is 2,000 psi. Which is a lot, but their 3/8" stainless hard line is rated for 6,000 psi. Now both of those are totally overkill for fuel line that only sees 4 to 7 psi in a carb system. The braided PTFE lined hose also has a max operating temp of 400*F, which is a bigger concern. The stainless hard line will withstand much higher temperatures without failure, and there are definitely things kicking around under the car that get hotter than 400*F. Not to mention what happens if you do have a fire for some reason.

Anyway, those are some of the reasons why I prefer hard line myself, and that's why I ran stainless hard line on my car with the flexible braided lines only at the ends. I know you won't be the only person to have run stainless braided -an hose from the tank all the way up to the carb if that's what you choose to do, but personally that's not how I like to do it.

Dear God from heaven, I was just messin with the guy.

Some of yall take arguing to new levels.

I know what PTFE is and it works fine......but I still prefer hard line. Just personal preference.

--------DAM ROB! LOL---------- I`ve ran copper, s.s., reg. rubber 1/2", and now lifetime fuel inj. - 08 and ptfe -08 on my currant toy. The most important thing is, where you run it! I`ve got it inside the frame -thru the subframe connectors, not much chance of anything happening to it there or on the outside of the frame work, away from the trans., clutch and heat .

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear God from heaven, I was just messin with the guy.
Some of yall take arguing to new levels.

Yeah, it's called using facts and weighing scientific evidence/properties to come to a logical conclusion. You should try it sometime. Beats the heck out of calling people names for no reason and then acting like it was a joke when you can't back it up.

He did seem a bit rough.

How does everyone like push lock for fuel lines?

Wow this topic took a dark turn. Let's change the subject and ask........ Dude what cylinder heads are you running?

He did seem a bit rough.

How does everyone like push lock for fuel lines?

I have but I *THINK* they are no longer legal per the Glendora dog and pony show. In 1988 I switched to MFI and both my local tracks (same tech dick hole) wouldn't let me run because the lines from the barrel valve to the nozzles were rubber. Took a month and a letter from NHRA to convince the tech dick he couldn't read.

-
Back