Fuel lines for my 70 Dart 440 500+ HP??

-

440DART1970

1970 Dart 446ci Swinger
Reaction score
Sooo... I am also about to Put new fuel lines in my 70 dart to accommodate a 500+HP 440 motor, I think I want to run 1/2 fuel line 8AN is that recommended?
Can anyone recommend where to start and what they did?
to start,..do I change the fuel sending unit in tank to 1/2'in and run 1/2 line with a fuel filter all the way to fuel pump then from pump to regulator then to carb?
Im also using a carter street strip mechanical pump.
20170416_090500_resized.jpg

Seems like overkill to me. I ran a 500+ HP 440 with a sixpac and always had plenty of fuel. I would shift at 6800 and used a mechanical pump.

Sooo... I am also about to Put new fuel lines in my 70 dart to accommodate a 500+HP 440 motor, I think I want to run 1/2 fuel line 8AN is that recommended?
to start,..do I change the fuel sending unit in tank to 1/2'in and run 1/2 line with a fuel filter all the way to fuel pump then from pump to regulator then to carb?
View attachment 1715039552
Seems to me 1/2 inch is overkill for your car. I'd think 3/8 inch would do just fine. The sending unit has nothing to do with the fuel flow leave it alone.

Now I do like the idea of the 1/2" pickup...
Especially if you are running an electric pump right off the pickup.

so leave the stock pick up and run either 6an or 8an steel braided to the fuel pump? or must I use aluminum line?

Last edited:
so leave the stock pick up and run either 6an or 8an steel braided to the fuel pump? or must I use aluminum line?
Run a 6AN line, braided line (I used black braided fuel line, I don't need bling) to the fuel pump and then steel line the rest of the way. My setup is different because I'm in-tank on the pump so the filter is back by the tank. I run steel line (supply and return) to the regulator with flex to the injector rails.

I think I reading you wrong so from gas tank to fuel pump~> forward use 3/8 aluminum. and from fuel pump to carb user steel braided?

I think I reading you wrong so from gas tank to fuel pump~> forward use 3/8 aluminum. and from fuel pump to carb user steel braided?
As I said, mine fuel system is different because it's fuel injected engine with an in-tank pump. Yes, aluminum or steel line from the tank to the fuel filter, and braided line to the carb. You need to have a little braided segment at the pump to allow for flexure of the engine.

View attachment 1715039552
I use 8an steel braded with TEFLON instead of rubber as rubber will break down over time. also it's best to do one time than to have to redo as cost is high to do a fuel system correctly. also if you switch to e85 fuel or alcohol you don't have to replace lines. beings you are running a mechanical pump you can run this directly from your tank to your filter then to your pump then to your regulator and carb. and yes I would replace your sending unit with one with 8an fittings and pickup tube. if you use an electric pump the system should be set up a little different this is how I would do it as your never going to go for less power always more

-
Back