Fuel pressure regulator leaking.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I noticed some fuel leaking around my pressure regulator and it appears to be coming from where the two main pieces of the body come together. Is it common to replace the gaskets on those or will I just need to fork out the money for a new unit. Picture for reference.

IMG_4562.jpeg

What's the setup? How much pressure do you have coming into it?

Carburetor setup? 8 -12 psi incoming.

Fuel injection, in the tank pump, 50 psi incoming?

☆☆☆☆☆

I noticed some fuel leaking around my pressure regulator and it appears to be coming from where the two main pieces of the body come together. Is it common to replace the gaskets on those or will I just need to fork out the money for a new unit. Picture for reference.

View attachment 1716111195
If it leaks it needs a new gasket. If they aren't available you will probably have to replace it.

What's the setup? How much pressure do you have coming into it?

Carburetor setup? 8 -12 psi incoming.

Fuel injection, in the tank pump, 50 psi incoming?

☆☆☆☆

I’ll be honest and say that I don’t know what my incoming pressure is before the regulator but it’s a mechanical pump so I would be surprised if it was too much. I have the regulator set to 6.5 lbs and it’s going into my 750 DP.

If it leaks it needs a new gasket. If they aren't available you will probably have to replace it.

This is where I am at. I honestly don’t remember the part number of the regulator to see if gaskets are available but I need to grab that this weekend. I did a quick google search and it looks like I’ll just need to order the full rebuild kit for my unit if they make one.

That gasket you are seeing leaking is the outer edge of the diaphragm that adjusts the fuel pressure as you turn the bolt in or out.

They get hard and can leak over time. Different fuels can deteriorate them faster too.

Diaphragm > like on a Acetylene regulator, or even a Scuba air regulator.

☆☆☆☆☆

The cheap & nasty design could mean the top is warped & the diaphragm is ok. Check for warping & if warped, rub with emery on a flat surface.

I think I got one of those generic regulators kicking around the garage

But by the time we pay shipping on it, you might as well get a new one

Just slob some blue glue on it. Make sure to put enough to it oozes out the sides and tell people you did a race mod on it. lol

They seem cheap enough, thanks for the offer though.
Do you have a fuel return on it? Make sure to get a return type regulator if you do, because there's a difference.

-
Back