Fuel problem...

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
Aaahh!! not getting fuel to carb... all rubber hose has been replaced, gas tank cleaned and sealed, Edelbrock 600 4 barrel carb. I have a glass fuel filter so I can see it's not getting fuel to the carb, so I got a new fuel pump... No dice... The only thing I can think of is that the steel fuel line must be clogged up. This would not be too bad but I dont have an air compressor and I live in an apartment complex so I'm iffy about getting one. Any suggestions on cleaning out the line? (other than compressed air)

want a short blast of approx 65 psi of air ? Dump all the water out of a long garden hose then put it back on the spigot. Use a high pressure hose nozzle to blow the fuel line out from the tanks connection forward.
You should also put a length of rubber hose on the fuel line at the fuel pump to catch the outbound flow. Dont get a whole lot of water in the fuel line.
The strainer ( sock ) in the tank could be clogged also. Good luck

you could buy a portable air tank they are always good to have around and easy to store [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W10005-5-Gallon-Portable-Tank/dp/B000FW7W54"]Amazon.com: Wilmar W10005 5-Gallon Portable Air Tank: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410zW365QxL.@@AMEPARAM@@410zW365QxL[/ame]

What do you think about swapping the vent and the fuel lines... I believe they are the same size, both go from engine bay to tank area, and since all emissions have been tossed awhile ago I just have a vent line that is plugged off with rubber hose and a bolt... thoughts?

since you plugged the vent line remove the gas cap so the tank can vent and try to start the car again if the gas flows then you know you need to unplug that vent line

since you plugged the vent line remove the gas cap so the tank can vent and try to start the car again if the gas flows then you know you need to unplug that vent line

I will try this first thing tomorrow... I guess I never really though about that... Thanks! will let ya know what happens!

I ran into a similar problem when i replace a cracked rubber line at the gas tank vent. Not knowing that the vent tube, it's self, was full of bugs.

mine would start just fine, in fact would drive just fine......until i would mash the skinny peddle......then i was off the road.

by the time i could raise the hood and pull the air filter off, it would start again.
Took me a week of messing around before i figured it out.

If yours is completely caped off.......YES, take the gas cap off, it just might start:toothy10:

What about the eccentric that drives the fuel pump? I have seen them shear off and then they don't crank the fuel pump. I had it happen to me once yrs. ago.

This happend to me also, the metal line was plugged. Nothing a quick spray of compressed air couldn't fix.

Edit.. Since you don't have that do as stated above..:banghead:

happy to report that I found the issue... from sitting so long the sending unit was packed with grime, float doesnt float and filter was all crumbled... looks like i'm buying a new sending unit!

I had this problem,check the carb and see if there isnt any crap inside.I also replaced the lines,the rubber hoses,sending unit,new fuel tank,still nothing.I did buy a new pump,before doing all of this,and I discovered particles of old rubber hose clogging the inlet side(that sucks the fuel in)of the new pump.I had to replace the fuel pump AGAIN,but before I did that,I took apart the carb(Edelbrock 1406) and found a bunch of crap inside(even a dead spider,lol)check to make sure everything is really CLEAN,the lines,the carb,the inlet side of the pump.Even the smallest clump of particles seriously disrupted the fuel flow.And as for the ecentric wearing down,its possible,but might be unlikely.To check that,put the pump on but dont connect any lines yet,have a friend crank the car and you should feel a suction on the inlet side(that connects to the tank to the pump hose) and blowing air through the outlet side(to the carb) good luck =)

happy to report that I found the issue... from sitting so long the sending unit was packed with grime, float doesnt float and filter was all crumbled... looks like i'm buying a new sending unit!
oops,I was late,lol.glad you found the problem :cheers:my old sending unit looked just like that.I got mine off ebay for $50 and it works great.

oops,I was late,lol.glad you found the problem :cheers:my old sending unit looked just like that.I got mine off ebay for $50 and it works great.

I just ordered one from 1A Auto website for 53.95 (free shipping) it's brand new with float and filter sock. I hope it gets here by the end of the week!

-
Back