Fuel Pump Oil Leak

-

Smcomanche

Reaction score
Anyone ever have an issue with the fuel pump not making a good seal to the engine block? My /6 was rebuilt this winter and the only oil leak I have is from the fuel pump mating surface. I removed, cleaned and replaced the gasket which did not solve the problem.

Thanks.

there was thread on here, awhile back, about a member having persistent oil leakage problems from his distributor. I believe the solution was a new breather cap for the valve cover, because PO had stuffed the breather with impermeable material. Granted, his problem was probably a more serious oil leak than yours. Are you sure the engine has not been overfilled with oil? Does it have the correct dipstick and matching tube?

Some pumps can leak around the pivot pin for the pump arm also.
On those I pull the pump and use carb cleaner or whatever to rinse the oil off the pin and the hole it goes through.
Then I put about 1/4 dab of red RTV and press it into the end of the pin on both sides and wipe off the excess.

Solves the problem.

Might not be your problem, but the lower front alternator bracket bolt goes into oil. It might be leaking there, making you think it is the fuel pump. Just remove the bolt, and put some thread sealer on it and reinstall.

I just replaced my pump on the 66' 273 in the Dart and the aft bolt went into oil. The forward bolt did not. Maybe the older LA's did go into oil behind the timing chain cover.

-
Back