fuel spill-over

-
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope we are all doing well in these times.
I've got a question that has had me stumped for days now.

essentially, I have a 1974 dart special, and I'm a little new to it. Im currently trying to fix some issues with the clusters such as no feedback on the fuel and temperature gauges, because of this, I always top off my tank whenever I go for a drive as the fuel gauge does not show anything but empty. Lately as I have gone to fill up, (my state does not allow for self service pumping) the gas will shoot back out of the tank and shut the nozzle off after a minute or two. Im not too sure why its doing this, as it fills the tank, but doesn't trigger the nozzle to stop pumping. Im more familiar with electronics and some mechanical work but I have yet to explore the A bodies fuel systems. Can anyone help me with my issue?
thanks in advance :)

I can't use the automatic shutoff on my '69 Dart either. Got to put the gas in at about 50% flow and listen for it coming up the tube. I can shut it off in time, about 75% of the time. That's just how these cars are, as far as I know. Tell the attendant not to use the auto shutoff and not to pump gas all over the side of the car!

Personally I think a lot of this is fuel pressure at the pump, poor design of the nozzle and do you have the "Californicated" vapor boots over the nozzles? We don't have those here. There are a couple of stations I simply don't go to because the nozzles spray everywhere.

The vent tubes are very small on some of the cars, many run into the frame rain and can get clogged.

Personally I think a lot of this is fuel pressure at the pump, poor design of the nozzle and do you have the "Californicated" vapor boots over the nozzles? We don't have those here. There are a couple of stations I simply don't go to because the nozzles spray everywhere.
Thought that aswell, but I decided to try a few stations around town, and all the same. I wish I could pump my own gas here, because then the problem would be somewhat solved lol.

The vent tubes are very small on some of the cars, many run into the frame rain and can get clogged.
I’ve been trying to find where they are typically located on a bodies, with no luck so far. Do you happen to know where they run?

I never have had a problem here (California) or in Oregon with my 67 Barracuda. When I took the car to Oregon last year I probably stopped for gas at least 5 times, not once was there a problem and the pump jockey stuck it in and let it go (no idea how fast they had it). At that time my fuel gauge wasn't working so I needed it to be full, each run seamed fine.

At home I push the silly California nozzle in hard and hold it up so the flow is more down, full on the first click.

Alan

I never have had a problem here (California) or in Oregon with my 67 Barracuda. When I took the car to Oregon last year I probably stopped for gas at least 5 times, not once was there a problem and the pump jockey stuck it in and let it go (no idea how fast they had it). At that time my fuel gauge wasn't working so I needed it to be full, each run seamed fine.

At home I push the silly California nozzle in hard and hold it up so the flow is more down, full on the first click.

Alan
Yea I’m located In Oregon. It’s strange too because it wasn’t happening at all for the first few times I filled it, but then it started happening recently.

-
Back