Fuel system good enough for 525 hp?

-

67dodgedartconv

Reaction score
The fuel line I would like to use is 6AN ptfe, but due to the ptfe core it has a .312 inner diameter. The tanks, inc fuel pump says it is good for 630 hp but has a 1/4" NPT supply outlet. The Holley sniper fuel fittings are 6AN. Seems like the 1/4" NPT fitting is the choke point. I guess I could run the next size 8AN fuel line with .401 ID but would it even increase flow with the smaller restrictions at the pump supply and the Sniper body? The smaller line would be easier to run and cheaper. All this is to feed a 408 stroker 525 hp. Thanks for any help.

I have a big block duster, 426 lowdeck. Made 525 hp 552 tq. I am running stock tank, 3/8 pickup n the tank. # 6 An to Holley blue pump #6AN all the way up to the front of the car to the carb. No issues.

At 525 hp you need a pump that will flow 52 GPH, then take into account gravity and resistance to flow. If you are at the track and the car is hooking hard, the fuel pump has to work that much harder to get the fuel to the carb. Most carbureted systems work at around 5.5-7.5 psi, so you need volume.Increasing pressure does not give you more fuel, so larger diameter line, higher volume pump = more fuel to the front of the car.

The fuel line I would like to use is 6AN ptfe, but due to the ptfe core it has a .312 inner diameter. The tanks, inc fuel pump says it is good for 630 hp but has a 1/4" NPT supply outlet. The Holley sniper fuel fittings are 6AN. Seems like the 1/4" NPT fitting is the choke point. I guess I could run the next size 8AN fuel line with .401 ID but would it even increase flow with the smaller restrictions at the pump supply and the Sniper body? The smaller line would be easier to run and cheaper. All this is to feed a 408 stroker 525 hp. Thanks for any help.
I have almost the same setup as you. 408 525+ hp. I run the same tanks inc pump and fittings with 6AN feed and the factory line as the return and have no issues at all, works great.

I have almost the same setup as you. 408 525+ hp. I run the same tanks inc pump and fittings with 6AN feed and the factory line as the return and have no issues at all, works great.
Do you remember what type of line you used? My issue is the inner diameter of the particular brand and type of 6AN line I want to use is smaller than most other 6AN lines due to the thickness of the ptfe core. Looking around I saw From .312 ID to .340 ID. Just don't know if it's enough to make a difference. Your info does sound encouraging. This car won't be raced at the track but do need enough fuel flow to keep from starving it the least bit at wide open throttle.

Last edited:
Do you remember what type of line you used? My issue is the inner diameter of the 6AN line I want to use is smaller than most other 6AN lines due to the thickness of the ptfe core. Looking around I saw From .312 ID to .340 ID. Just don't know if it's enough to make a difference. Your info does sound encouraging. This car won't be raced at the track but do need enough fuel flow to keep from starving it the least bit at wide open throttle.
No sure on the brand but it is 6AN push loc hose.
The id of the 1/4 npt to 6AN is .29 if that helps..

-
Back