Fuel systems for drag cars

-
Men aren’t the best at reading instructions but when we do we sometimes learn something. Not sure if this helps or no but I buy BG400 pumps for pennies on the dollar because they have issues with them. I grab them and rebuild them. Lol

View attachment 1716298996

Yup. Unless the tank is almost empty it doesn’t do ****.

What the directions do not say is keep the return fuel away from the outlet to the pump. With a 3 gallon cell it’s hard to do. Barry forgot that in his instructions.

With a bigger cell or a bigger tank it makes zero difference. I know it’s in all the books and such so it must be true.

I burned right at 2 gallons a run. A bit more if someone dicked around or you get stuck at the ticket window waiting for 25 dudes to get their time slips then it would burn another 1/4 gallon.

In a 3 gallon cell never once did the return fuel affect the fuel to the pump.

A number 6 line at 55 psi blows a ton of fuel back into the tank. I had a hose fail on the dyno at about 8k. The return hose I mean. The amount of fuel returning to the tank is almost unbelievable.

In fact, after we cleaned up the mess I started looking for ways to slow the pump down at rpm because most MFI engines are over pumped.

Big rpm and MFI means you need at least 3 bypasses. And probably a fourth.

That’s how much fuel those pumps produce.

Yup. Unless the tank is almost empty it doesn’t do ****.

What the directions do not say is keep the return fuel away from the outlet to the pump. With a 3 gallon cell it’s hard to do. Barry forgot that in his instructions.

With a bigger cell or a bigger tank it makes zero difference. I know it’s in all the books and such so it must be true.

I burned right at 2 gallons a run. A bit more if someone dicked around or you get stuck at the ticket window waiting for 25 dudes to get their time slips then it would burn another 1/4 gallon.

In a 3 gallon cell never once did the return fuel affect the fuel to the pump.

A number 6 line at 55 psi blows a ton of fuel back into the tank. I had a hose fail on the dyno at about 8k. The return hose I mean. The amount of fuel returning to the tank is almost unbelievable.

In fact, after we cleaned up the mess I started looking for ways to slow the pump down at rpm because most MFI engines are over pumped.

Big rpm and MFI means you need at least 3 bypasses. And probably a fourth.

That’s how much fuel those pumps produce.

You don’t have to make a sale to me. I’m already sold on my way. And I’m just as stubborn as you, maybe more so.

You don’t have to make a sale to me. I’m already sold on my way. And I’m just as stubborn as you, maybe more so.

Dude, we should take a poll. You’d lose. HARD!

Not only am I FAR MORE stubborn than you, I’m also a bigger prick.

So you should make the poll. Who is more stubborn? You or I. I’m all for it. You’d lose that poll around here in a large way.

I got you covered there John!! And I’m damn good at both of those. I’m betting Joey and the mods would agree with me to lol.

So you should make the poll. Who is more stubborn? You or I. I’m all for it. You’d lose that poll around here in a large way.

I got you covered there John!! And I’m damn good at both of those. I’m betting Joey and the mods would agree with me to lol.
You guys are mere mortals vs my godly stubbornness lol.
Just kidding you guys win.

Ok you win. Lol

On my boat (twin turbo big block Chevy) I have twin tanks, each with their own A1000 aeromotive pump, and each with their own return. I return right back at the filler neck and don’t aerate the fuel at all. At idle the amount of fuel returned to each tank is incredible. I could fill a kiddie pool in minutes.

I've been running dead -head for decades.
Assuming I want to add a return, and also assuming a pump that doesn't have a bypass outlet back to the cell..... where do you get the bypass fuel from?
The regulator? After the regulator? Before the regulator? After the pump, but before it travels the length of the car?
I'm open to learning something new.....

On my boat (twin turbo big block Chevy) I have twin tanks, each with their own A1000 aeromotive pump, and each with their own return. I return right back at the filler neck and don’t aerate the fuel at all. At idle the amount of fuel returned to each tank is incredible. I could fill a kiddie pool in minutes.
That system must look awesome too

The fastest car I have ever had was a W5 deal in a 3350 pound uncut, unminitubbed 70 Duster with full interior including the back seat.
It ultimately( with couple minor changes new owner did) has been 9.50’s at 140.
It went just a hair slower when I had it.I ran a deadheaded Holley black on it through -6 line.
Due to peer pressure saying it was grossly inadequate, I spent a bunch of money upgrading the entire fuel system. Much bigger pump, bigger line, went to a return style system.
End result, I saw absolutely zero, nothing, nada on the time slip. A car I raced a lot. Way, way more than I do these days.
In my opinion, one of the biggest money pits guys fall into is throwing unneeded wallet at fuel systems.
That all said, my current car had a super cheap Carter electric pump on it when I got it. Think it was like 65 or 70 gph.
I upgraded the stock stroke 360 in it and in the process bought a Lane automotive “ Allstar” house brand pump to upgrade. Think it’s 105 gph, so just a bit less than a Holley blue is. Thus far I have been 6.50’s with it at 3330. Think the pump was around 100 bucks. Been on the car going on 7 years now
At this point I plan to upgrade to the Aeromotive SS series pump, which is a hair stouter than a Holley black. Think they are a bit over 300 bucks.

i ran -8 from the pump to regulator then branched off to 4 -6 lines to feed the carbs. worked flawlessly.

That system must look awesome too
I’d post a pic but you can’t see any of it under the hatch. It’s all hardlined in 1/2” nicop (coast guard rules) and all aeromotive stuff. It works well.

I’d post a pic but you can’t see any of it under the hatch. It’s all hardlined in 1/2” nicop (coast guard rules) and all aeromotive stuff. It works well.
Is the nicop nice to work with?
I'm thinking of using that for my brake lines .
I like the aeromotive stuff myself, very nice stuff.
Looks really good still in the box lol & sad face emoji. I didn't need a a2000 pump but I got a good deal from a parts distributor

No return line for me. Number 10 from my BG400 pump to the regulator up front. And two number 8 feed the carb. But then again I’m on alcohol. I guess I shouldn’t say no return line as mine has a return on the pump in back

Are the fittings, flare or compression to An?

-
Back