Fuel systems for drag cars

-
375 hp on pump fuel, with the A/F ratio correct, will consume just over 31 gph. Since the hp # is an estimate, the 100 gph Carter #4600 will be more than enough with a generous safety reserve.
Using huge pumps just churn up the fuel....& wear out the pump.

The fastest car I have ever had was a W5 deal in a 3350 pound uncut, unminitubbed 70 Duster with full interior including the back seat.
It ultimately( with couple minor changes new owner did) has been 9.50’s at 140.
It went just a hair slower when I had it.I ran a deadheaded Holley black on it through -6 line.
Due to peer pressure saying it was grossly inadequate, I spent a bunch of money upgrading the entire fuel system. Much bigger pump, bigger line, went to a return style system.
End result, I saw absolutely zero, nothing, nada on the time slip. A car I raced a lot. Way, way more than I do these days.
In my opinion, one of the biggest money pits guys fall into is throwing unneeded wallet at fuel systems.
That all said, my current car had a super cheap Carter electric pump on it when I got it. Think it was like 65 or 70 gph.
I upgraded the stock stroke 360 in it and in the process bought a Lane automotive “ Allstar” house brand pump to upgrade. Think it’s 105 gph, so just a bit less than a Holley blue is. Thus far I have been 6.50’s with it at 3330. Think the pump was around 100 bucks. Been on the car going on 7 years now
At this point I plan to upgrade to the Aeromotive SS series pump, which is a hair stouter than a Holley black. Think they are a bit over 300 bucks.

My opinion exactly.
I have seen a lot of Guys spend a real ton on complex systems on cars that do not justify it.

375 hp on pump fuel, with the A/F ratio correct, will consume just over 31 gph. Since the hp # is an estimate, the 100 gph Carter #4600 will be more than enough with a generous safety reserve.
Using huge pumps just churn up the fuel....& wear out the pump.
I run that pump on 450 to 500HP with no problems.

Also old Mallory 140s that I have bought for $25.00 at the swap meet =
Even still on our 10 second stockers.

Mallory used to help me out with them 20 years ago in the good old days.

I spend a fortune on our Dozen race cars in the Family, just not where it
is not need and does not make a difference.

Just my .02 = For Free!

Last edited:
I run that pump on 450 to 500HP with no problems.

Also old Mallory 140s that I have bought for $25.00 at the swap meet =
Even still on our 10 second stockers.

Mallory used to help me out with them 20 years ago in the good old days.

I spend a fortune on our Dozen race cars in the Family, just not where it
is not need and does not make a difference.

Just my .02 = For Free!
I agree .. years ago I went to a Product Engineering pump with a built in filter and built in return to the fuel cell , -10 hose to the regulator and dual -6 to the carb from the regulator it didn't go any faster than the old Mallory 140 I had. I have ran Mallory regulators for years , I had one go bad a few months ago and found out they are no longer available , I ended up going to a Holley

Dependable is what I’m looking for. Hell I ran two Holley blue pumps years ago into the low 9.80’s back when 9.80’s was quick. I could tell you a weeks worth of stories about those damn fuel pumps. Many a day or evening spent doing maintenance to them at the track. I did have a BG400 pump leak on me at the Halloween Classic race last year so I had to grab a spare. That’s probably the first time since around 2008 in my Daytona.

Is the nicop nice to work with?
I'm thinking of using that for my brake lines .
I like the aeromotive stuff myself, very nice stuff.
Looks really good still in the box lol & sad face emoji. I didn't need a a2000 pump but I got a good deal from a parts distributor
Nicop is VERY good stuff. Easy to bend, easy to flare, etc, etc. I've used it on multiple cars for fuel lines. One even for brake lines.

Is the nicop nice to work with?
I'm thinking of using that for my brake lines .
I like the aeromotive stuff myself, very nice stuff.
Looks really good still in the box lol & sad face emoji. I didn't need a a2000 pump but I got a good deal from a parts distributor
Yea it’s fairly forgiving and durable. It does work harden because of the copper content but doesn’t get brittle. I’ve found if you don’t manipulate it too much it’s very easy to use. Stick to single bends, and a flare. If you mess up get another stick. It’s pretty cheap also if you buy a roll of it.

-
Back