Fuel tank, gauge question???

-

jkallen83

Reaction score
ive noticed that when looking at my gas gauge, it seems to work fine until it reaches 1/4 of a tank. then it seems to hang or not quite work as smoothly as needed.
is there a way to fix this issue to where it works more accurately, or is there a reason this is happening? today it showed i had 1/4 tank of gas, i put in $10 which then showed to be 1/8th of a tank. then it came up, then down.

any suggestions as to how to cure some of this issue to make it more accurate when 1/4 tank or less?

It's probably the sender unit, so the first thing you need to do is pull it and inspect it. Most problems will be pretty obvious (float is full of gas, contact arm is worn or bent).

ive noticed that when looking at my gas gauge, it seems to work fine until it reaches 1/4 of a tank. then it seems to hang or not quite work as smoothly as needed.
is there a way to fix this issue to where it works more accurately, or is there a reason this is happening? today it showed i had 1/4 tank of gas, i put in $10 which then showed to be 1/8th of a tank. then it came up, then down.

any suggestions as to how to cure some of this issue to make it more accurate when 1/4 tank or less?

Just out of curiosity, have you replaced the sending unit or gauge prior to this issue? Could be an issue with the ohms being off due to functioning range of either if they have been.

I've had alot of Mopars and none of the fuel gauges work exactly right no matter what you do to them. New sending units etc

That's what I was thinking. I know most old cars are not truly accurate and change on hills and curves while driving.

Just thought I'd check and be sure this is normal for this type car.

It changes on hill and curves because the tanks don't have baffles in them. Buy a new tank with baffles an that problem goes away

-
Back