fuel tank lines?

-
Use a repo 3/8 sender that has the return port and a 69 down filler.

Not sure what you mean..?

The 69 and 70 non cal cars had a tube with a vent line. The vent line just vented the filler tube to atmosphere and the line dumped under the car through the trunk seal. The aftermarket tank sending units for the period have either 5/16 or 3/8 outlets. The 3/8 also has a return tank line which is what you want. You can use that with the the filter listed above. You just need the return line back to the tank. Your 440 needs the 3/8 feed line.

We need to make some "separation" in this thread, there are two issues, and you may or may not be interested in both

That can for sale is overpriced if you need it and you may not. It is NOT for venting the fuel tank, it is for the fuel return system used on some cars. Only the hemi/ 440 HP cars in certain models used fuel/ vapor return

So...........

YOUR TANK MUST be vented

NO MOPAR ever came with a "vented" cap. The "vented" caps on some 70 and later cars were NOT really "vented" they were actually for pressure relief. The "real vent" is :

69/ earlier, the tube coming out of the fuel filler neck

Some 70 (CA cars) and all later cars with charcoal system the vent is the small line going up front which tied into this system. This is known officially as "evaporative emissions control"

IF YOU REMOVE the charcoal system, you MUST leave that 1/4 vent line OPEN and HIGH up front

VAPOR RETURN as earlier, is a SEPARATE issue from the VENT

Vapor return is designed to continuously pump a small amount of fuel round and round from the tank to the pump, through a orifice in the vapor return can, and back to the tank

YOU CAN NOT USE that existing 1/4" line for vapor return unless you provide a SEPARATE tank vent

FURTHERMORE the ebay can is OVERPRICED. You can buy Wix filters 33040, 33041, for 5/16 or 3/8, respectively, and accomplish "the same thing" for fuel return

Wix filter:

The small line at top, and it must be oriented at top as shown or vertically, is the1/4 return orifice

s-l225.jpg

You need to get yourself a proper year service manual for your car and read through the fuel and emissions sections to understand these systems. GET THE CORRECT year!! These systems changed almost every year

Some of the manuals are available free, at MyMopar.com. Some of them there are due to the efforts of some of the guys on this board.

Use a reps 3/8 sender that has the return port and a 69 down filler.

Not sure what you mean..?

It irritates the ******* CRAP out of me that this new "improved" software does not seem to multi quote. It must have taken me an extra 3 or 4 minutes of clicking pasting and screwin around to get this son of a ***** to show like I want. "Improved." Right!!!

He is talking about an aftermarket "reproduction" tank sender AKA "repop" which has a NON FACTORY second port added, which is for the express purpose of creating a fuel return system. I you wish to do so that is one "easy" way.

I Google "dart dart fuel sending unit" as an EXAMPLE and here it is:

https://www.google.com/search?newwi....7.0....0...1.1.64.serp..1.7.1100.CO36C-zf_t4

http://www.carparts.com/details/Dod...gclid=CL2Os_qYgNQCFUpqfgodi40HgA&gclsrc=aw.ds

We need to make some "separation" in this thread, there are two issues, and you may or may not be interested in both

That can for sale is overpriced if you need it and you may not. It is NOT for venting the fuel tank, it is for the fuel return system used on some cars. Only the hemi/ 440 HP cars in certain models used fuel/ vapor return

So...........

YOUR TANK MUST be vented

NO MOPAR ever came with a "vented" cap. The "vented" caps on some 70 and later cars were NOT really "vented" they were actually for pressure relief. The "real vent" is :

69/ earlier, the tube coming out of the fuel filler neck

Some 70 (CA cars) and all later cars with charcoal system the vent is the small line going up front which tied into this system. This is known officially as "evaporative emissions control"

IF YOU REMOVE the charcoal system, you MUST leave that 1/4 vent line OPEN and HIGH up front

VAPOR RETURN as earlier, is a SEPARATE issue from the VENT

Vapor return is designed to continuously pump a small amount of fuel round and round from the tank to the pump, through a orifice in the vapor return can, and back to the tank

YOU CAN NOT USE that existing 1/4" line for vapor return unless you provide a SEPARATE tank vent

FURTHERMORE the ebay can is OVERPRICED. You can buy Wix filters 33040, 33041, for 5/16 or 3/8, respectively, and accomplish "the same thing" for fuel return

Wix filter:

The small line at top, and it must be oriented at top as shown or vertically, is the1/4 return orifice

View attachment 1715050101

You need to get yourself a proper year service manual for your car and read through the fuel and emissions sections to understand these systems. GET THE CORRECT year!! These systems changed almost every year

Some of the manuals are available free, at MyMopar.com. Some of them there are due to the efforts of some of the guys on this board.

Thanks for this info!! Ok, so, I need to leave that 1/4 inch line open and high to vent the tank, i understand this, but do you know of a tiny air filter type deal i can put on it so its not just wide open?

Thanks for this info!! Ok, so, I need to leave that 1/4 inch line open and high to vent the tank, i understand this, but do you know of a tiny air filter type deal i can put on it so its not just wide open?

You could just use a small plastic or metal 1/4" fuel filter..............

One way depending on your fab skills is to plumb it into the non pressurized section of the PCV/ crankcase breather system. Some cars actually had a "multi" port breather on one valve cover. One big line went to the air filter bonnet, and it had a couple? of small fittings which would work well for this

Here's one now.......

2-port-breather-70-71-002-small-jpg.jpg

-
Back