Fuel tank vent question

-

oldkoot

Reaction score
Let me begin with the first picture of the filler neck vent tube, all looks right here.
DSC01388.jpg

And the vent tube exits through the rubber seal in the trunk, the open end appears to be within the frame rail

DSC01397.jpg

Now looking at the gas tank itself, there is a fitting near the top of the tank that is blocked with a short section of hose. Should this connect to the vent tube or do you think the gas tank has been replaced with one from a later model.

DSC01396.jpg

mine is in the frame......I have never seen a tank with that hose or nipple sticking out the top......what year make and model car...looks like a duster

Looks like it could be used as a vent to me, at a high point? I`m no expert but I would hook it up. Also thought about reading negitives of using filter before pump. my .02

It's a 67 Dart, never had any problems with the fuel filter mounted at the tank. The only issue I have is when filling the tank you need to really slow the pump down or it splashes back.

That tank looks like it came out of a later model car.
I'd say late 72 and on up. I had one one the tank that was in the Duster orignally. A 73. It has the canister in the engine
compartment. That line off the tank would go there.

Now looking at the gas tank itself, there is a fitting near the top of the tank that is blocked with a short section of hose. Should this connect to the vent tube or do you think the gas tank has been replaced with one from a later model.

If you connected these two together the tank would no longer be vented. Your fuel pump would probably collapse the tank.

These guys are right, 71 calif., 72 up used cap system which also provided a spec. valve that kept splash back from occuring. I`d say leave it like it is, as long as your cap does`nt fail. I guess older cars you really have to listen when filling or splashback. I have 67 car, will splash back too. Your sending unit should have sock "filter",, you should`nt need that filter @ tank. restriction possibilty, thus cavitating pump. Your call.8)

My vote is to leave it as is too. You've got a later tank there that someone has blocked off an emissions fitting.

-
Back