Fuel tank venting

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I got my '74 Duster, the factory tank was gone, along with the spare tire well. Slab of sheetmetal on the trunk floor and a fuel cell on it... I wasn't a fan. I got lucky, found a very nice trunk floor, tank, and 5/16" pickup/sender from a '73 Valiant and stuck them in. There are no ports on the tank. My car has the fold-down rear seat, and the unique(?) fill tube has no venting line on it. It came out if a Dart Sport, but I'm not sure what year.
I welded a sump onto the tank, and reused the Holley Blue pump, 1/2" braided line, and dead-head type regulator. For the time being I just capped the original pickup tube, thinking it may work for a return in the future if needed. I'm running a 750 Carter on a nothing too wild, in my opinion, 360. What are my best options for venting this tank?
TIA, Karlin.

20240520_124216.jpg

20230321_111621.jpg

20240520_124330.jpg

Your tank vent is here. It likely goes to the charcoal canister at the front of the car. If that’s gone you can make your own vent line. I made one for an A body in the style of a 68/69 road runner and it worked well.

You could also use a 1967-1969 filler neck with a non vented cap.

Good luck

IMG_5026.jpeg

IMG_5027.jpeg

IMG_5029.jpeg

IMG_5028.jpeg

Last edited:
I was hoping that was the case. I've read (here mostly) views that it's not enough, and the tank needs more venting for filling, etc.
THAT IS NOT a vented cap. That is an evap controlled, pressure/ vacuum cap. In other words it is for pressure release. Be careful. Those caps changed almost yearly. There is an old photo posted by I think Steve, OldManMopar, showing the changes over the years.

Damn, how did I miss that. Especially as I was the one to cap it off. Even though I put the tank in 6 months ago, that's no excuse. Is that the same vent system they used for the fold-down rear seat cars? I'm kinda surprised the P.O. would've pulled it out, they weren't particular about most of the other stuff they did.

THAT IS NOT a vented cap.
I was searching for which cap came what years, but I have no clue if this is even right for '74. When the fuel cell mess was installed, they cut the fill tube off about 3" inside the quarter.

4mulas- I re-read your post, missed the part about you making that system yourself, as I was pretty much looking at the photos. Thanks for the idea, I may tear into the back and see if there's room for something like that.

-
Back