fuel tank welding question

-

Barracuda_v8

Reaction score
hello!

I´m planning to weld a sump on to a fuel tank. But I want a new fuel tank to work on. So I found this fuel tank on ebay: [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/161197741283?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]New Gas Fuel Tank Barracuda Cuda 1966 1969 Made in Canada High Quality Tank | eBay[/ame]

But I do not know if I can weld on the tank due to ni-terne treatment. I´ve tried ask the seller but he doesn´t respond. So what do you guys think?
Thanks Daniel

I'm sure you can grind / sand down to bare steel...........

You know a few simple steps will allow you to safely weld an old tank? Just offering an option and spare any issues with the new tank (sending unit fitment, filler neck hole)

It's a coating like galvanizing, just grind/sand back to the bare steel and weld it or solder it.

It's a coating like galvanizing, just grind/sand back to the bare steel and weld it or solder it.

But isn't it coated on the inside also. I'm thinking that maybe the coating will flake on the inside when I weld.
Daniel

If you are concerned with the flaking you could just reseal it....don't remember the name of it but sure Google will....or look for someone to nickel plate the inside, like what was done on my chopper tank. Would work best if the tank never had anything in it...from my experience....

Okey and it was a ni-terne treated tank?
Thanks Daniel

Coating does not matter. You are over thinking the process.

After you get done you are going to have to seal the welded areas inside and outside of the tank. There are several different products you can use. So your pretty coated tank is going to look like it got into a severe street fight after its all said and done. Best to just paint it afterward.

I did an 8an Return 2 10an feeds and a looped vent on mine.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-KOTE-GAS-FUEL-TANK-SEALER-LINER-REDKOTE-QT-/271375403929?hash=item3f2f3c0b99&vxp=mtr"]Red Kote Gas Fuel Tank Sealer Liner Redkote Qt | eBay[/ame]

View attachment IMG_5050.jpg

View attachment IMG_5095.jpg

View attachment IMG_5096.jpg

View attachment IMG_5097.jpg

View attachment $T2eC16Z,!ykE9s7t)2wCBR15-uWr3g~~60_35.JPG

-
Back