Full Advanced help

-

investigator

Reaction score
Can someone please help this old man out I'm trying to figure out how to limit my Max advance it's advancing up too close to 50 here is a picture of the distributor. Vacuum advance is already disconnected it's a 360 390 horse Mopar Performance Engine with MSD 6al
20170609_164625.jpg

Do you have to pull the distributor to install looks pretty easy kind of curious about what all has to be removed to install the plate but it still looks like a good idea

The top shaft and pickup plate have to come off to install as it sits on top of the flyweights under that top plate.
They have installation instructions with pictures on their website.

Mopar Distributor Tuning J685S

Huge Shout out to Don at FBO for his limiting disc. I just got one this week and love it.

Not only is the disc awesome, he emailed asking for my engine set-up, then gave me suggestions on what to set the timing to.

I took it for a long drive today and the throttle response is unbelievable. Best I've ever felt.

I couldn't get over Don's willingness to reach out and help a customer that only spent $25.
Highly recommend the disc and Don at FBO!!

IMG_20170607_203335304.jpg

Huge Shout out to Don at FBO for his limiting disc. I just got one this week and love it.

Not only is the disc awesome, he emailed asking for my engine set-up, then gave me suggestions on what to set the timing to.

I took it for a long drive today and the throttle response is unbelievable. Best I've ever felt.

I couldn't get over Don's willingness to reach out and help a customer that only spent $25.
Highly recommend the disc and Don at FBO!!

View attachment 1715055491
That is really great to know I think I'm going to try them out I just hate pulling that distributor

With the points type distributor like mine there is a tricky snap ring in the top that a challenge to get to. Other than that it wasn't bad. I also replaced one of my lighter springs with a heavier one to slow down the time it takes to get to mechanical all-in.

Check out his website, I think he posted instructions for installing the disc in one of the distributors he sells. It's pretty much the same in most.

Here's another picture.

IMG_20170607_203328375.jpg

They just drop in over the weights and below the advance plate. Your plate should have a number stamped on it say 15R or something, that is the max the oem plate will give and it is it is half the total mechanical advance, hope it helps.

Actually thinking of this 50 is a lot mechanical, the most I ever saw on a plate so far is 18, check that the retaining clip under side of the mounting plate is intact, it is three prongs with a slot that go over a post to let the pickup pivot on vac. I have a dist machine and have seen a few broken off and it does strange things to the advance if it is ley me know I prob have one you can have.

Looking at that pic it is across from the pickup under that "tab"

Looking at that pic it is across from the pickup under that "tab"
Thank you that is something I will check I did mention I think that the vacuum advance is disconnected but from what you were telling me this is Anchor Point and you are very kind for your offer I hate to impose but could you possibly at your convenience send me a picture of that three prong item thank you again

Will do when I go to the shop. I also recommend pulling the dist just to get the advance plate spring out it usually flys out when you get that thing out.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF40_CO-I1yDcPwZQN3o1-C_BNjswyo1fo-A7-U36DDTqW2IUG.jpg

The distrib ony goes in two ways just not where the rotor points, way easier to do what you are doing.

Thanks a bunch for the help and the pics

Mark the distributor housing where it meets the block and then when you put it back in just point the rotor in the same direction and line up the marks on the distributor stem and the block.
That way it all drops right back in just like it was, but you are going to check and reset your timing anyway.:D

Mark the distributor housing where it meets the block and then when you put it back in just point the rotor in the same direction and line up the marks on the distributor stem and the block.
That way it all drops right back in just like it was, but you are going to check and reset your timing anyway.:D
Thanks I will do that thank you again and thanks to all those who have replied

You a newbie on these or just don't post much?
Only been on a couple of years but you're right I don't post much most of you guys seem to know everything already anyway and I mean that in a respectful manner almost all of my builds have been some form of General Motors this is the first Mopar and I am enjoying it and I must say it's pretty stout.

Go back to post #13.
You see that drive-shaft sticking up? I drilled and tapped mine to accept a 6-32 (IIRC) allen socket-head screw. With a washer, a spacer and a stop-tube. No more fudging with that stinking spring-clip.
The spacer keeps the timing-cam down, and the stop tube prevents the washer from jamming everything together. I left like .020 or so vertical travel for cam end-play.
Together with the FBO plate adjustments now only take a couple of minutes, and you never have to worry about losing that stinking clip.

-
Back