full groove cam bearings?

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
does anybody produce cam bearings that are full groove on the journals that supply the rockers?

dont know...but you can special order the camshaft to have the journals grooved for full time oiling....

dont know if it is necessary though..

dont know...but you can special order the camshaft to have the journals grooved for full time oiling....

dont know if it is necessary though..

from what I see on these la motors, the rockers only get a burst of oil pressure for a short period until the drilled oil holes I the cam align with the openings in the cam bearings. I figured if grooved bearings were available they would at least provide some oil when the holes are not aligned.

but having the cam grooved is a better idea!

You might flood the upper engine with oil and empty the pan. They usually have plenty of oil up there. Might over oil the valve stems and cause other probs too.

It gets oil once each side per revolution. It's oiling so fast, it is almost constant oiling to begin with.

It gets oil once each side per revolution. It's oiling so fast, it is almost constant oiling to begin with.

but if you think about it there has to be at least 12 rockers that go through their full motion without any serious oil pressure to keep them floating off the shaft. I think putting a small groove around the cam journal that's only a few thousandth deep will help supply partial oil pressure to help keep the rockers afloat.

Never had an oiling problem with the rockers nor has anyone that I know. Rockers move at 1/4 the engine RPM.

hi, the rocker shafts are full of oil at all times, that oil is pushed out every time it gets oil pumped in it. its about the same way a fuel bowl in a carb works.if you groove the cam, you will over flood the rockers, suck the pan dry. we always restrict oil to rockers some, there is no starvation at all!!
it gets plenty of oil. in fact, start engine with valve covers off, then watch the oil run out. it's a constant flow!!

Also rememer the rockers' contact area on the shaft... The pressure is spread over a large area so highly pressurized oil is not needed. Factory stamped rockers are only splash fed and adjustables have a much tighter tolerance so the oil leaks out slower.

Thanks for all the good info. I just did the oil mods to the main oil galleries as described by guitarjones, but I'm not going to tube the lifter bores. I guess just reaming out the mains to 1/2" will be sufficient enough with an HV oil pump.

Thanks for all the good info. I just did the oil mods to the main oil galleries as described by guitarjones, but I'm not going to tube the lifter bores. I guess just reaming out the mains to 1/2" will be sufficient enough with an HV oil pump.

Reaming out the mains to 1/2"? I sincerely hope your not talking about drilling the main bearing feeds to 1/2". That'd weaken the block considerably and wouldn't gain anything because the feed holes in the main bearings aren't very big. I drill the main feeds to 9/32". If your using a HV pump make sure and use a good aftermarket pickup because the stock pickup is too restrictive and you don't gain anything.

Reaming out the mains to 1/2"? I sincerely hope your not talking about drilling the main bearing feeds to 1/2". That'd weaken the block considerably and wouldn't gain anything because the feed holes in the main bearings aren't very big. I drill the main feeds to 9/32". If your using a HV pump make sure and use a good aftermarket pickup because the stock pickup is too restrictive and you don't gain anything.

LMAO! I'm not an idiot. I'm talking about the main oil feeds to and from the oil filter and along the passenger side lifter gallery. The feeds to the mains were already 5/16" so I left those alone. I also modded the oil pump to 1/2" and rounded all the turns as best as I could. I also slotted the main bearings slightly. I plan on using either a canton pickup or even a moroso.

I know i'm overdoing an engine that will redline at 6700 rpm's and spend most of its days on the street but I like for my engine to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

LMAO! I'm not an idiot. I'm talking about the main oil feeds to and from the oil filter and along the passenger side lifter gallery. The feeds to the mains were already 5/16" so I left those alone. I also modded the oil pump to 1/2" and rounded all the turns as best as I could. I also slotted the main bearings slightly. I plan on using either a canton pickup or even a moroso.

I know i'm overdoing an engine that will redline at 6700 rpm's and spend most of its days on the street but I like for my engine to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

LOL... Ok, the way you worded it had me wondering. Sounds like a good plan

BTW: one thing you might want to add to the list is if your using a stock filter mounting plate some came with 8 holes and others only had 4 holes drilled. If yours is a 4 holer drill 4 more. I believe that'll insure good filling of the oil filter. It may be overkill also but in certain areas overkill doesn't hurt a thing

-
Back