full manual reverse valve body -- streetable?

-

shadango

Reaction score
Another dumb newbie question --

Anyone here have a ride that uses a full manual reverse valve body on the street?

I know they are more or less made for the strip....but any issues with using them on the street?

They work ok but keep you pretty busy from stoplight to stoplight. Shifts tend to be a bit violent.
Sometimes it's nice to put it in Drive and go. Mike

I have one in mine. If you are light footed when shifting it is pretty mild shifting. No problem on the street for me.

If you're using a factory console and shifter, check out the Turbo Action forward manual valve body. I like mine. If you have a convertor that has a higher stall than stock, the low throttle pressure shifts are not bad at all.

If one were to have a car with this full reverse valve body, and if someone wanted to go back to fully auto, it would just be a matter of swapping it out for a stock or otherwise auto valvebody.....correct?

Dave

1st question. I have a manual reverse in my Demon and I like it. It is not much different than having to shift a 4-speed. Just no clutch.

2nd question. That should be all there is to it. Just swap out the valve bodies.

Jack

swap out the valve bodies AND put the trans kickdown linkage (or aftermarket cable) back on. No kickdown linkage and you trans burns up rather quickly. One of the reasons a lot of people go to the manual VB is when an aftermarket carb and/or intake are installed its sometimes tricky to compensate for the differences in height. Put in a manual VB and you're done.

Dusterdon, I can see where a loose convertor and easy throttle would be ok.
Race cars are allways full throttle and a friend had a mid 60's Dodge pickup with a 440 and a manual 727 that he used as a driver and a parts hauler and that thing usually snapped your neck but he was usually loaded or pulling a trailer. I put a B&M shift kit in my 73 Challenger back in the day and it shifted firm and would bark the tires into second anytime you wanted. Mike

No one has mentionned the reason Turbo Action puts those stamps and warnings in the box. You have to be very careful using one on the street. You cannot do first gear burnouts and let off. At no time do you want the tires to be turning faster than the engine... That's how those transmission explosions start. I've used them (and will continue to) for street cars. They are cheap and easy and work... But you should read what comes in the box with them. They are a race part you need to be aware of.

You need a unit that apply LOW BAND APPLY. Without it they are a bomb waiting to happen.

They are great to reply to your question, you can even take off in 2nd if you like, but it is as mentioned, a stick with no clutch.

Read about them at Cope Racing.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I appreciate the help.

Looks like it is a "use with caution" kind of thing but OK for the street.

A reverse manual is fine on the street,put it in and let it rip!!!

A and A Trans actually make a street version. Low band apply and they soften the down shift.

an if you dont like it an are going back to the stock stuff let me no i'm in the market for a manual valve body

Another dumb newbie question --

Anyone here have a ride that uses a full manual reverse valve body on the street?

I know they are more or less made for the strip....but any issues with using them on the street?
Your better off to install a simple shift kit. Unless you're a "hardcore," drag racer type, a full reverse manual valve body will just keep you busy shifting. I have a TCI full reverse auto/manual valve body sitting in a box in my garage. It works either way. You can manually shift with it or if the kick down is hooked up you can use it as fully automatic. That type of valve body might work better for you. Best of both worlds. Check with TCI and get an opinion from them.

swap out the valve bodies AND put the trans kickdown linkage (or aftermarket cable) back on. No kickdown linkage and you trans burns up rather quickly. One of the reasons a lot of people go to the manual VB is when an aftermarket carb and/or intake are installed its sometimes tricky to compensate for the differences in height. Put in a manual VB and you're done.
As I understand it, a fully manual reverse vavle body uses no kickdown. It is shifted with the shifter cable only. It won't work with a kickdown hooked up.

I don't think that the kickdown lever will even attach at the trans. You can use a factory shifter if you like. I'm using a factory console shifter and a turbo action forward manual valve body. Keeps a factory look but improved performance. these forward valve bodies are really nice on the b and E bodies that have the factory slap stick shifters. the best of both worlds.

-
Back