Functional Dual-Snorkel Scoop

-

danielb927

Reaction score
I'm going to a functional scoop so I figured I'd share a couple photos with you guys. Didn't want to cut too much of the hood up, so I bought a 24x24 aluminum sheet and had it cut out on a water jet to match the triangular shape under the scoop between the hood supports. Riveted to it the base from a 9" K&N flow-top air cleaner. It's intentionally a bit off-center to line up with the hood supports. Here's what it looks like without the filter and foam:

gfax.jpg

Still to-do: add the foam sealer around the edges of the plate, cut out the hole in the hood, and that should be about it. Maybe add a support rail under the front of the plate if it flexes too much.

Is it even worth trying to cut out the hood hole by drilling a starter hole and using a mini-hacksaw, or should I just suck it up and find someone with an angle grinder? Not sure how thick sheet metal is so I don't know how bad it would be with a hacksaw.

Looks good. I have the hood scoop and am planning on the tin work this winter. I want the ram air because I believe the air it draws in now fights the air the electric fans draw, and I run hotter than I would like by @ 10 - 15 degrees. The forced air won't hurt at high speeds either.

Found a friend with an angle grinder today and made the hood cut. Thicker stuff than you'd think, shredded a whole cut-off wheel cutting it out, but it wasn't too bad (after the initial wincing at cutting into nicely painted sheet metal for the first time).

I've been following this thread and it's a great reference. Used the black weatherstrip adhesive to attach the foam after cutting it down just under 1", and that stuff holds pretty well after a couple of minutes to set.

Still have to go back and tack down a few areas that aren't quite attached, and go around the edges with black gasket sealant for a nicer look/seal, but I'm very pleased with how it looks. Also going to try to sand up the inside of the cut and either use some orange engine paint or clear coat, and possibly attaching a very thin strip of rubber weatherstripping to the hole in case it bumps the air filter at all.

dnpu.jpg

iajb.jpg

hl46.jpg

Looks good,
I think I would cut the point of the base off and make it match the cut out on the hood.

Looks good,
I think I would cut the point of the base off and make it match the cut out on the hood.

Could definitely do it that way - I plan to leave it as is, that way the seal is hitting the hood at roughly the same level all the way around. Originally was going to cut out the full "triangle" on the hood but decided that would stick too far towards the front of the scoop.

-
Back