functional or not to functional

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Me and my dad just installed a duel snorkel hood scoop to my 74 Duster. It came from Mopars by Crane and I think it looks great on the car. We put it on then put on a new hood insulation pad that I had for several months. That looks good also when the hood is up. Everyone says I should have cut a hole in the hood so it's functional. Because, just sitting on the hood probably creates a drag since the air doesn't have much to go. What would anyone here do? I would like to keep the pad under the hood. If it were to be functional the hole(s) wouldn't have to be as big as what the factory would do. It does sort of defeat the purpose of having a hood scoop without drawing more air into the engine. What would you do?

Tell them they can cut a hole in thier hood.
Haha...good reply.

It's your call what you want to do, really, it's your car. The scoop won't be much of a problem with drag so that shouldn't affect your decision. Guys with high rise intakes (sixpacks, tunnel rams) need to cut the hoods. Mine wouldn't close if it wasn't cut.

I have a large hole cut in my hood. I like the idea of some cooler air getting in the engine bay. As far as performance goes, I doubt you would notice a difference. As far as looks go, if you want to cut the 2- 4 inch holes that the Demon's and Dart Sports came with, you can also cut the insulation and fab a trim piece to line the hole's and insulation and make it look like it came that way. I used a piece of round closed cell foam to line the edge of the hole in my hood. If I do it again I will find another way to do it that looks more professional. Rubber maybe.

Jack

like everyone else said its your hood do what you want but depending on how you put it on your hood (bolted or fiberglassed in) without the hole it tends to pull the hood scoop up since the air being forced inside has no where to go i made this mistake on my wifes 72 dart i put a six pack scoop on and figured why cut a hole its only a slant six but only a month later the fiberglass i used to blend it in had began to crack around the edge of the hood scoop so needless to say it now has a big hole cut in it. Dont know if it would affect a bolted down scoop the same way. Its your decision just thought id let you know what happened to me

When I put the scoop on my Duster I got another hood. Cut a
hole in it so I could get the fresh air. Still have the orignal
hood hanging in the garage. Nice wall art. I got the air cleaner
to sit right at hood level. Put a K&N top on it. Works great.

If you are not going to seal the scoops to the air cleaner then don't bother cutting a hole in your hood. Cutting a hole in your hood and just letting the air fill the engine comparment can make your car run hotter. How this happens is you create a higher pressure in the engine compartment so it is harder for the air to flow thru the radiator. This gets worse as the speed of the car goes up. I have seen this happen more than once.

Chuck

-
Back