Funny incident at Kragen Auto Parts

-

RDJ

Reaction score
I haven't bought any trans fluid for a while. I asked the guy for some Dexron and he gave me Dexron/Mercon. Admittedley, I didn't know what Mercon is. So I asked him, are these the same? Or is there a fluid that is just Dexron. He copped an attitude, acted like I was the biggest idiot in the world, and proceeded to tell me how he is the expert, this is his business, etc.

Then he asked me what I was using it for. I told him I was going to put it in a Torqueflite 727. Then he asked, "Is that an airplane??"

Dexron was for GM, Mercon was for Ford. At least thats how it was explained to me by a trans guy. They combined efforts when Ford steered away from type F.

My 12 year old brother even knows what a Torqueflite 727 is. Its always funny when there's something who everybody thinks is really smart, and then you make then look like a dumb a$$. Great Story

Funny!

BTW, thanks for referring to it properly as "Dexron". :)

It makes me cringe when people call it "Dextron".

The Kragen is a lot closer to my house than the "good" auto parts store in town, so I went there this morning. I really wasn't in the mood for attitude this morning, especially from some dumbass, so I just left all the stuff on the counter I was going to buy and went to the other place.

Not sticking up for all parts guys, but i've done it for 18 years now. Sadly it is HARD to find a good counterperson any more.The pay has drove most of the good ones away to work at dealers or service writers in the field. So always look for the busiest counterperson when you go into a Napa,Carquest or any of the good ones parts stores that have done it a day or two, that don't have the zit faced kid that flipped burgers last week and now is a "parts professional" this week, and talk to the one behind the counter thats used a book to find a set of dual points for a Prestolite distributor. Not to have them say "i don't see it on my computer,it must be a dealer item"!

OK now for the trans fluid lesson,
Dexron/Mercon is the newest in Dexron I, Dexron II, Dexron III and Fords Mercon. But there is also Mercon V, so watch out that you don't grab that. Also there now is DexronVI, a full synthetic made for 2006 and later GM, so watchout for that.
Also for 1990 and later Chryslers there is ATF+4, which takes place of ATF7176,ATF II and ATF III, which i'm told by a transmission guy will work in anything taking dexron, just has additives in it to take the shutter out of later torgue convertors.

If I had a dollar for everytime I ask for a small (or big) block Mopar part and they then ask me if that is a motorcycle.....
Mark

for simple fluids like that I love walmart. Walk in, walk to the shelf, grab the fluid I need, pay, leave, only human interaction now is with the express checkout lady who doesn't even speak english. hardest part of dealing with walmart is when my debit card doesn't read in the scanner. And Walmart carries the main manufacturers I use. Castrol.

I went to our local speed shop to get a carb rebuild kit for my 70 Challenger 440 sixpack. I gave the guy the carb numbers and after he dug into the books he could not find them and tried to tell me that it must be some sort of a after market set up and that I would have to go back to who ever sold it to me.

Best thing to do is whenever possible get a part# ahead of time. Over the years I've scrounged a bunch of old catalogs (Moog, Walker, Chmpion, Munroe, Holley, Standard, Maremount & Sealed Power) With part #s you'd be surprised what will turn up.
I'm more than willing to look up part #s for anyone who asks.

Not sticking up for all parts guys, but i've done it for 18 years now. Sadly it is HARD to find a good counterperson any more.The pay has drove most of the good ones away to work at dealers or service writers in the field. So always look for the busiest counterperson when you go into a Napa,Carquest or any of the good ones parts stores that have done it a day or two, that don't have the zit faced kid that flipped burgers last week and now is a "parts professional" this week, and talk to the one behind the counter thats used a book to find a set of dual points for a Prestolite distributor. Not to have them say "i don't see it on my computer,it must be a dealer item"!

OK now for the trans fluid lesson,
Dexron/Mercon is the newest in Dexron I, Dexron II, Dexron III and Fords Mercon. But there is also Mercon V, so watch out that you don't grab that. Also there now is DexronVI, a full synthetic made for 2006 and later GM, so watchout for that.
Also for 1990 and later Chryslers there is ATF+4, which takes place of ATF7176,ATF II and ATF III, which i'm told by a transmission guy will work in anything taking dexron, just has additives in it to take the shutter out of later torgue convertors.

you work at Napa in Sioux Falls? You wouldnt happen to know nick hanscom would you?

Sears Is not any better. I went in one spring to get a new battery. Walked in and asked for a group 27 battery. They wanted to know for what car. I asked why? They said it was so they could look it up. Again I said I needed a group 27. Again They asked for what car. Told them. "I am sorry but our computer does not show a battery for that car". GRRRR!

-
Back