gap help

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Need help on how to get this gap closer. It fits really nice fender to hood and fender to door on the lower part. But this corner I cant seem to get right. I wonder if the door has to come out? I know it looks like a shadow but look close its not.

Attachments

• driver body line3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 173
That looks like the top of the door needs some shim to bring it out to match the fender. what does the door gap look like on the bottom rear?

Photo of that gap coming and i think you might have hit it. The door could stand to go in just a bit on the bottom right corner. I cant remember does the fender have to come off to adjust?

Attachments

• door gap.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 181
The shims need to go behind the top door hinge so I am pretty sure to gain access that fender may need to come off.

Well, you "should" be getting the doors right and aligning the fenders from there.

You could be at it a while trying to align the door with the fender and rear quarter.

actually when i set the gaps on the doors last year I thought they looked good...

Yeah, maybe they shifted some. Do you have frame connectors installed? Did you install them after?

I would seriously get the doors lined up perfectly and then align your fenders off of the doors, otherwise you'll be chasing your tail IMO.

Yeah, maybe they shifted some. Do you have frame connectors installed? Did you install them after?

I would seriously get the doors lined up perfectly and then align your fenders off of the doors, otherwise you'll be chasing your tail IMO.

I can't really remember if I did them before or after. I think it was before actually. And yes I will work on that door and see if I can get that fender to line up better.

Ok, I will try to make a guide for setting a door. I hope this helps.

#1 You set the door to the rocker and 1/4, THEN you set the fender to the door.

Here is how things work:

The hinge bolts on the body allow some or all of these adjustments (depending on the car) forward, backward, up, down or tilt.

The hinge bolts on the door allow some or all of these adjustments (depending on the car) up, down, in, out and rotation (moving just the bottom or top in or out).

Normally, if the body hinge has not been removed, you don't need to mess with them.

First set the your basic height. This is a simple matter of having a jack under the door and tightening bolts.

Now set your basic "fit" as described below:

When adjusting the door, using the (4) door hinge bolts, work with one upper bolt and one lower bolt but have all 4 installed. 1 upper and 1 lower will be loose and 1 upper and one lower will be just snug enough to prevent the door from moving on it's own.

Note: I will often remove the striker for door adjustment. Remember, you are adjusting only to the rocker and 1/4. You are not adjusting to the striker or fender.

Adjustment using the 2 snug door bolts: This is a repetitive process so I will only give the basics of how it works.
If you need to move the bottom in/out, you loosen your 1 snug bottom bolt and shove the bottom of the door in/out, re-tighten the bolt, shut the door, hold the door closed with your hand and check panel fit.

If you are in/out on top, you loosen your 1 snug top bolt and shove the top of the door in/out, re-tighten the bolt, shut the door, hold the door closed with your hand and check panel fit.

Using this process, you can walk a door in or out and set it's angle to the 1/4 very quickly.

All of these steps may need to be repeated including going back and fine tuning the height

Now adjust your striker to the door. Your door should not move up or down when latching. One way to set the striker (old school way) is to have the striker just snug enough that it stays in position, now slam the door. that should set the striker where it naturally wants to be.

The way I do it is the carefully watch the latch and striker engage while slowly closing the door making adjustments as needed.

All of the above sounds like a bunch of work but I can normally hang and adjust a door in under 10 minutes.

If you have removed or adjusted the hinges at the body, things become more complicated but it's the same process of walking the door into position.

In my opinion, you should never use shims on a door hinge.

-
Back