Garage in Suburbia

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We just moved into a new house in a neighborhood of homes on 1/2 acre lots.

My wife and I agree that the garage will be for the kids bikes and yard tools and our Duster project.

Its only 20 x 20 with 2 8' doors.

My plans are to put up shelving 6' off the floor to use that space up there for disassembled parts etc.

I know its tight but it's a huge upgrade from where we currently keep and work on the project which is a 10 x 20 storage unit.

I've posted 2 as is pics, and most of the stuff in there can go except for the bikes, yard tools and the beach chairs

It's primed sheetrock now and I want to paint it before I bring the car home.

I'm thinking the ceiling should be white to reflect light and the floor will be medium grey. Can't decide what color to paint the walls.....

If any one has a picture of their garage we'd love to see them.

Throw out your $.02

Thanks

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 309
  • photo (4).JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 317
Paint walls, ceiling white. Floor get a professional floor cover kit in a light to med Grey. A garage is where you want a lot of light.

My $.02 built a shed for the lawnmower and bicycles.And when you build a work bench build it big enough.

It definitely makes it difficult to get things done with all the other stuff in the garage. I also am dealing with a 20x20 and the subdivision will not allow sheds so everything has to go in there. If you have attic space above the garage ceiling use it. Plywood and drom down stairs come in handy. I have a lot of my cuds stored up there along with ohter misc parts. Also use the space above the garage doors. I have wire rack hanging just above the door all the way across. It is a good place for those parts you want out of harms way. Have the fenders for the cuda along with glass and trim up on mine.
hooks to hang the bikes from helps keep the floor from being cluttered.

yes build a shed. a big shed. we have a 12x16 shed that i built for all the **** i dont want around the car. that thing filled up fast. no matter how much storage space you have its never enough. you just collect more stuff. lol

That is larger than the garage that I am rebuilding our Duster in. When it was in it's side, we could just fit by the ends..I have two work benches. I can store some stuff upstairs but it is so hot...

I put up a "temp" garage to house the lawnmowers....we have the same rule here but I haven't heard a squeak..

+1 on hanging the bikes. I have more ceiling height than most but hanging stuff overhead is GREAT!

Attachments

• coe frame in barn small.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 244
Better than what I have. our house has a single space garage that before I had all my tools and what we could barely fit my 67 Ranchero in. When when in the garage door sat maybe 2 inches from the back bumper and we couldn't open the clothes dryer door. On the sides there was just enough room to squeeze out of the car. One of those conditions I have for when we move next. Bigger friggin garage. Especially now that I have 3 cars to maintain and I am getting into engine rebuilding.

-
Back