Gas and temp gauges in a '64 Dart

-

Primer King

Reaction score
Hi, thanx for reading. A while back my ignition tumbler failed. I knew it was going but waited too long and one day a spring or pin or ??? failed and the key wouldn't go in. Happened at work so I unplugged the tumbler and bent paper clips to get it jumpstarted and running. Ran around with that method for a few days until I found a new tumbler. The new tumbler has a ground post that hangs out in the middle of nowhere and doesn't match up with the plug, although the rest of the terminals match the plug just fine.

Not my brightest idea, but it got me around until I found another tumbler. Anyway, when I installed the new tumbler, the temp gauge would work intermittently. Sometimes a whack on the dashboard and it'd work again, sometimes not. Then one day the gas gauge dropped like a rock and both the gas and temp gauges have been non-functional since.

I looked thru the fuse block under the dashboard and they all look good. Could the problem be the new tumbler? I followed the cluster wiring as far as I could and didn't find and burnt wires or visibly bad connections. Any other ideas or suggestions? The gauges still light up with the rest of the dash lights and the ammeter (charge/discharge) still works if that helps any.

I believe the gauge power comes off the ignition run line. That power goes to the instrument regulator which is built inside the fuel gauge. If power / the regulator is a problem, all three gauges should be acting up

There's a 65 Plymouth manual over at MyMopar but I don't know what differences there might be

64 Dart diagrams from MyMopar

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1964/64DartA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1964/64DartB.jpg

These, however, do not give you the layout of the cluster

The instrument voltage regulator ( the ivr ) is most likely built into the fuel gauge. There are electronic ivr kits out there to repair this you will also need to disable the original ivr inside the gauge. If you remove the Instrument panel and look at the back of it the gauge with 3 studs has the ivr inside it. You might also do a search on this site using the terms "early a ivr" for further instructions and pictures.

Brian

Since jarring the dash did effect operation, likely fault was that 3 post gauge loose at its mounting/contact nuts. Might still be the only fault but... The mechanical limiter is over 50 years old. Jarring wasn't good for it. It may be dead now. Good luck

Thanks very much for the replies. I will look into all of the suggestions, the advice is appreciated!

-
Back