Gas cap Lock?

-
Reaction score
I have a 71 Dart swinger. I also have friends with an A-hole son who thinks its fun to steal my very hard to find gas cap... Once he brought it back after 2 months, and most recently I just found it in his garage. Does anyone know of something I can use to lock that sucker on? I dont think he would cut it off if it was attached. Thanks for any advice. This has been a real :violent1:

I was told at THIS thread (back when it was originally taken) that no one made a cap for my model, that I needed either a 70 California emissions or 71 model. Those only and no one makes reproductions, so I'm not sure either one of those will work.

Ya I dont think that will work, it says "late" model 71 and if you take a look at mine it looks completely different. I did do a little research before posting this...

Attachments

• gascap.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 173
wright at that screw for the handel and at the neck filler at that screw put a small cable you can buy all you need at a hardwear

You could break the kids fingers...

The "kid" is 29 year old 260Lb bully who likes the taste of the juice... thus my problem, not worth it to start something...

But the more I look at it, that stant g 757 might work, anyone have experience with this?? might just pick it up for $20 and keep my stock one until I know it will be safe.

just an fyi too, you can get them at part stores but they're an odd fugly black ABS plastic. I learned the hard way last week when i drove away with my gas cap on the roof of my car.

I'd mention it to the friend and see how he feels about first, and then tell the punk that the cops are getting involved if it ever happens again.
But then, I probably wouldn't have a friend whos kid was stealing **** off my car and wouldn't do anything about it anyway.

I told a local guy one time that he would have a flat tire every damn day for the rest of his friggin life if he ever touched my car again.

Remington_870_Police_Magnum_2_by_ChillBebop.jpg

It's time to attack the problem instead of the result.

Several things you can do. Set up video cam, alarm the car, restraining order, charge him with trespassing, theft, and get a pocket audio recorder. If he makes ANY audible physical threats, get the law involved.

If that doesn't work, Wilson makes aluminum baseball bats. Come to think of it, wooden ones work, too.

I have a locking cap, but the key is manufactured by Ruger

ruger_LCR.jpg

shoot someone over a gas cap? geez, i swear the craziest of people inhabit this forum.

Yeah the '71 caps are kind of a pain in the butt, both my GT's have that one year only CA model cap.

I bought one of those flip cap adaptors for one of my cars, and I pulled the filler neck out of my '74 parts car to replace the other. They make locking caps that are readily available for the later style, might be worth switching. I like to have a locking cap regardless, just cuts down on the possibility of vandalism. Plus I leave my keys attached to the cap while I fuel, that way I can't forget the darn thing.

shoot someone over a gas cap? geez, i swear the craziest of people inhabit this forum.

The guy was described as a 250 lb bully. If he's beating on my body, it becomes something besides "a gas cap."

The question therefore is, "are you willing to get severely beaten over a gas cap? geez, i swear the craziest of people inhabit this form."

The problem i am seeing is, if you stop tthe kid from taking your gas cap he is just going to find something else to screw with that will mess with you. You need to just stand up to the kid or his dad and tell him its not cool. If someone did it to my car, maybe once and returned it right away, i may laugh aboutvit. But if it were a persistant thing id tell him " look the next time you do it and i catch you I'm going to slap a 9/16 wrench acrossed your knuckles and when you then try to take it again and your hands to crippled to do so, then maybe you will get the hint." Don't play the game, the more of a pushover you are then the worse it will get.

Well, as much as I appreciate the advice, I violent route isn't the answer. I appreciate the thought, and there are some things I am thinking of involving the PD. But either way I have no other place to keep the car except on the street, and I have seen 2 other a bodies in the area missing gas caps. So even if I can stop this one jerk, I don't trust all the others. Either way I would like a locking cap if its doable. That Stant G-757 looks close, but I am not positive. Does anyone have experience with it?

-
Back