Gas concern welding floor pans

-

StickweldinSteve

Reaction score
I’m welding in floor pans and was curious what your protocol was for leaving or dropping the gas tank. I have never dropped the tank so I don’t know if it has pin holes in the top or something. I have done some grinding without issue but welding spatter I would assume is riskier. There’s definitely a smell of gas but I chocked that up to it being an old carb’d car.

Last edited:
I take the tank out of every car that gets frame or floor work. A friend lost everything he owned and 20 E-bodies working on something with the tank in it. Including his life. RIP Rodger

safe_image.jpg

I’m welding in floor pans and was curious what your protocol was for leaving or dropping the gas tank. I have never dropped the tank so I don’t know if it has pin holes in the top or something. I have done some grinding without issue but welding spatter I would assume is riskier. There’s definitely a smell of gas but I chocked that up to it being an old carb’d car.
StickweldinSteve,

By reading your post, you don't know the condition of your tank regarding leaks, pinholes etc..

Its very easy to drop the tank and will be 100% safer to weld in your floor pans than worry about igniting fumes.

Remember , one misplaced spark and you won't have to worry about your car , your garage, your house or anything else anymore .

Play it safe!!

StickweldinSteve,

By reading your post, you don't know the condition of your tank regarding leaks, pinholes etc..

Its very easy to drop the tank and will be 100% safer to weld in your floor pans than worry about igniting fumes.

Remember , one misplaced spark and you won't have to worry about your car , your garage, your house or anything else anymore .

Play it safe!!
Solid advice, that’s what I’ll do. Thanks

Just sayin but if you "think it has pinholes in the top" IT NEEDS TO COME OUT whether you are fixing floors or not

I was thinking maybe drain and drop the tank, check the lines and cap them off.
Everyone can do it how they like and I don't condone this to anybody but I've put front floor pans in my Valiant with the gas tank in I put lower quarters on the Valiant with the gas tank in I patch welded the trunk floor at the seam where the windshield leaked and rusted through ...with the tank in. You probably need a couple things going on... like fuel Vapors... so your tank needs a leak or lines must leak in or around the sender for that... non ventilated work space to act as a vapor ballon... maybe ground to the tank and itself...or you need to use a torch so you can burn a hole through the floor and through the gas tank to achieve blowing yourself up. Good luck! Lol

And some people walk away from car wrecks and some don't.
It only takes being unlucky once....feel lucky?
I bet you have car insurance just in case.

The car is an electrical box.
So if you fuel senders low voltage pulse shorts a spark is the tank gonna pop and send ya to the moon.
Better safe then sorry though.. so put on a motorcycle hemmut w/shield, some dish gloves, no shirt w/ op shorts 'so you're less flamable' ..some ear plugs..crack a beer and go for it. Make sure to have some Kenny loggins jamming 'the heat is on'.. film it. If you live, you'll be rich... if you die , well..you'll be famous. Lmao

On a serious note, siphon the fuel out before dropping it, less weight.
Maybe get creative with a piece of plywood and some heavy zip ties going through drilled holes through it and around the jack crown.

Moparshop, Van's auto, year one etc all have a new filler gromet..may as well change it.

Remove the tank and fuel lines. Put them far away from where you are welding.

-
Back