Gas gauge not working

-

67GTS

Reaction score
66 Barracuda. rest of the cluster works fine.

Where would you look first, the guage? sending unit?

You can check the gauge and associated wiring fairly easily by grounding out the signal wire at the tank. This should cause the gage to go to "Full". If this works, then verify the ground to the sending unit/Tank. If that is good, it is probably the sending unit.

dubldart340 said:
You can check the gauge and associated wiring fairly easily by grounding out the signal wire at the tank. This should cause the gage to go to "Full". If this works, then verify the ground to the sending unit/Tank. If that is good, it is probably the sending unit.

I agree with the previous diagnosis, but I want to clarify the ground circut. I would definietly give the grounding clip a twist while under the tank area. It pretty much acts like a bridge between the sending unit and the hard fuel line on either side of the rubber hose that connects the two. It clips on and is in an easy place to get crapped-up. This is your only source for a ground to the sending unit. It relies on the steel line being securely clipped ( and therefor grounded) to the frame to complete the circut.

It's important that it make's GOOD contact between the two.

i would check the sending unit first.ive also seen a couple of broken needles on the gauge itself,so see if it is still attached.

-
Back