gas price effect

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
With good gas now over $4 just wondering how this is effecting your build plans and/or driving this summer.I'm investing a few dollars in my 74 Scamp that was just a car (daily driver) to make it have the look of muscle but have none like the car company's did in the mid 70's.It's now a /6 but just picked up a 318 and I will be putting a manual 4 speed OD behind it with an 8 1/4 highway gears should do pretty good on gas

With good gas now over $4 just wondering how this is effecting your build plans and/or driving this summer.I'm investing a few dollars in my 74 Scamp that was just a car (daily driver) to make it have the look of muscle but have none like the car company's did in the mid 70's.It's now a /6 but just picked up a 318 and I will be putting a manual 4 speed OD behind it with an 8 1/4 highway gears should do pretty good on gas

Just a comment on your 4 speed...
If you're putting in the 4 speed for the "muscle car thing, or simply because you want it, great! But if your purpose is to increase gas mileage, I believe you'll find that while manual transmissions are capable of delivering slightly better economy than automatics, in most cases our driving habits cause us to get worse, and in some cases much worse mileage with manuals. The reason being, very few young people today truly know how to drive a manual car for the purpose of getting better economy from it. That said, when driving a manual trans, even us geezers have a tendency to "put or foot in it". lol

It's difficult to drive a manual shift car and not have a little fun with it. Especially if you got some engine in it, and a really great sounding exhaust!

Just my 2¢

not really affecting my build plans for my slant 6. however, i am not in a big hurry anymore to change out my highway gears. my plans are to change over to the super six 2 bbl, and free up the exhaust , then later on i want to get into the head work to boost compression and get it flowing better. would also like to add a new cam, timing chain,and windage tray at that time. might swap to an electric fan or try to find a clutch style fan.who knows, i might even get better mileage when its all said and done.

Yes I'm fully aware of what you mentioned but I hate automatics and I have the 4 speed OD in the car now and don't know if it would take much abuse anyway but it will still be a daily driver and have what i believe that for me anyway the best all around bang for the buck economy - looks - CHEAP to do.I do have a 71 demon 340 with a tremec 5 speed for REAL fun.Young I'm not I ORDERED a new 71 Demon when I was a senior in high school

not really affecting my build plans for my slant 6. however, i am not in a big hurry anymore to change out my highway gears. my plans are to change over to the super six 2 bbl, and free up the exhaust , then later on i want to get into the head work to boost compression and get it flowing better. would also like to add a new cam, timing chain,and windage tray at that time. might swap to an electric fan or try to find a clutch style fan.who knows, i might even get better mileage when its all said and done.

I was going to soup up my slant a little until I found this 318.My slant has a header and clifford 4 barrel.I figure I can put in the 318 cheaper than working on the slant and be about the same on economy.Good luck

Not effecting me build wise as the big block and tranny are done, it will be raced and street driven occasionaly so no going back now.......

I'm just annoyed by the fact that gas was relatively cheap last summer, and both my Mopars were off the road.

The price of gas has no influence on the 68 fish I am bringing back onto the street from the track. However, the availability of gas without jokenol in it is my bigger concern.

This is a nice weekend daytime around the local area car however.

-
Back