Gas station melt down

-
I go to local car shows and more than once folks ask what year it is or what size engine it has [ i put a large framed info display dead in front of the car ] i politely answer their questions while the voice in my head is screaming read the display. I had a guy look at the car last sat night and say 1977 right? I almost fell out the chair. I live in the south and i'm sure most folks around here can read. YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID! The best is when a lady that was in her teens or early twentys when this car was new sees it they look in the big back window and get this far away look i know exactly what is going through their mind because of the faint smile on their face. I have a lot of fun with my 66 cuda.

Hey your Nova isn't as cool as my Nova! LOL

(I know it's an old pic)

DCP_4327.jpg

Lou3500,

When i was still being taught by dad the difference between challenger cuda, cornet charger, duster demon, dart scamp, that sort of thing.. i used to get them backwards all the time.. obviously my good ol dad could barely catch a taillight passing by and be able to rattle off the year make model and all that fun stuff (guess that comes with old age HAHA) but i even at car shows could miss the board in large letters giving all the cars info.. and then after i ask the stupid question of is it a big block or small block when the two motors are distinctly different.. dad would just smack me in the head and show me the difference one more time..

I ALWAYS LOOK AT THE BOARD.. its there to let you know those easy questions.. haha

Most folks do read, those are the ones that say having one or someone they knew had one. The ones that don't also think it's just a car lean in with a smoke in their mouth or keys on chains banging against the paint, we've even witnessed some guy opening doors and getting in the cars more than once the owners went ape s---.

I have people ask me all the time what is it .................. my dart doesn't say Dodge, Dart or anything else other than GT on the grill and GT Sport on the stripe on the back

My Imperial just says Imperial on the front fenders. So everyone wants to know, What is it?

Lots of NON car people. Sometimes it is fun to sit back and listen to comments others have, some really funny, some just plain STUPID.

I put 340 decals on my valve covers so people would stop asking "What size engine is it?" Guess what, looking right at them and ask,

Is it a 340? DUH, here's your sign!

I have people ask me all the time what is it .................. my dart doesn't say Dodge, Dart or anything else other than GT on the grill and GT Sport on the stripe on the back
that's sort of like mine- the only 'badging' on it is the Plymouth front license plate.

Of course, I did have one mensa arguing with me that my car, which I've owned for like 15 years isn't a Plymouth.

I have a friend who owns a 65 rambler marlin we try to park next to each other and watch folks look back and forth at my car then his several times thinking that they were made by the same company they ask him some questions and He rattles some bull out to them and they go on shaking their heads. Mind you we both have our displays in plain view during all this.Man do i like car shows it takes all kinds.

Nice car!!! I guess it could look like one if you had a problem with your eyes or glasses or you had too many 2 for ones for lunch.Or maybe they are just kiddn wit ya, i'll bet they was'nt kiddin they can't be that dumb.

i bet someone who has no idea what the car is thinking " im going to take a shot in the dark and hope to god it is what you say it is... Damn you mean to tell me that aspen isnt a challenger?" haha and then the genious will say man.. i had a challenger that looked just like that 77 aspen.. IDIOT!!!

Drove the duster to get a hair cut yesterday.. when i parked and got out a fella walked over and started looking asking questions and everything.. which was cool no problem.. then he proceeds to tell me that my paint is starting to get rust bubbles and that he does not approve of my turn down exhaust i have because one.. it is ugly and two it will catch my backseat on fire@@@@@####$$$$ WTFFF I told him to get the f!&* away from my car! what nerve some people have...

I was running errands in my '65 Barracuda two nights ago. I was asked "Is that an SS?" a tthe gas station. And... "Are you the original owner?" at the parts store. I turn 40 this year... I was more POd at the second one than the first. At least the guys were excited about it..lol

I've had guys tell me they had a 66 cuda they bought new and it came with a 318 i may be wrong but i think according to my research only 225's and 273's were available in cudas until 67. They are problily thinking it was or someone told them that. I have not had the misfortune that abodymachine had but i would have been pissed too like they say opinions are like a--holes everybody has one most stink keep your comments to your self. I like going places with my car but sometimes i wish i left it at home.

I had a guy see my Demon and said he had a 70 Hemi Demon Duster sport with a 5 speed that he has in the 8's from the factory with just a little tuning.... "holds face in hand and shakes head".....

Jeff

Oh and when I was younger I got into a pretty good argument with an old timer that wasn't about to be corrected by a kid that his 70 Duster came with a factory sharktooth grill.......

You didn't know he bought the only one they ever made back when he was crew chief for sox and martin. Ronnie didn't want it it wasn't a cuda. I get that all the time at work guys have a problem that i have had i tell them what to do to fix it and they say i've been doing this for 30 years you don't know what your talking about, then why did you call asking for help? I can't tolorate stupid people.And i have to deal with them all day on the phone, some are dealers in busness for many years and i have to be nice or get scolded for being nasty.

My now ex-girlfriend and I were taking my 1974 Swinger out on the night when I first got it. As we pulled into the resturant an older couple came up and told me that he had one just like it back in the '60s. (Must have been a very, very early prototype). Then his wife told me that they had so much fun in that Nova they still laugh about it....UHHHH....yes ma'am, it is a very fun car and I love driving it. I did not want to add drama to the good night they were having being in love.

I get the same kind of treatment with my Ford Explorer. Since it's on big tires the masses consider it a Jeep.

Q. "Hey what model Jeep is that"

A. "The Ford Explorer"

thaven_640.jpg

HEMI DUSTER SPORT???? WOW see its stuff like this, that i cant hold my tongue for.. if you call my duster a nova.. yea that sucks but im not going to jump down your throat because obviously you don't have that much knowledge of classic cars but if you have enough knowledge to throw a duster SPORT or original hemi duster at that.. thats grounds for some talking too but like rumblefish said earlier.. if thats the case my 73 duster came factory with a one year option of the 472 with a 727 6 pack, shaker hood, and a latter bar settup.. FACTORY

I took my car out yesterday after work and as I rumbled by a father and

son walking on the sidewalk the dad yells out "nice Chevelle"

I just smiled, waved and kept on going.

Went out to a large car show today and i was sitting behind my cuda and overheard some one say hey look at that barracuda and this is a charger [there was a 69 cuda conv. next to me ]. I said nothing just shook my head. Out of fifty trophys best mopar went to a nice 70 roadrunner and a 09 challenger got best of show for 81 and newer, and orphan went to a 56 desoto. Mopars are few and far between in my area not many guys bring theirs out except for special occasions. Going to an all mopar picnic next saturday hope to see some of the elusive mopars of the area.

wow rumblefish now i think i would have said something bad if he studied the car for a few min and happened to miss all 5 or 6 badges that carry the name plymouth or cuda.. WOW!!!

nah, it is a plymouth impala. lmao

I was at the gas station the other day in my scamp, a guy pulls in, in a 71 demon, we start talking and me and his wife go in to pay for the gas ( you have to pre pay here) the old lady working asks if shes paying for the scamp or the duster, I was thinking this old gal knows her mopars, (she had a side view of them) the guys wife starts yelling at her, it's not a f@#$ing duster it's a god d@# demon don't you know anything, how can you work in a gas ststion and not know what kinda car it is? I dont know who I felt more sorry for, the old gal or the woman for geting that bent over the demon being called a duster by someone who saw it from the side for a min or less:angry7:

Y'know, I honestly dont understand the hostility that some people exhibit over someone elses lack of knowledge. Why be that way? Sure some people are stupid, but you are not going to change them by yelling or swearing at them. And I think its especially inappropriate to do something like that when someone has a kid with them. It only makes you look like some type of idiot to everyone else when you do something like that. I mean, what can you possibly have to gain by demeaning someone else? At the most, a few seconds of self gratification, but at the expense of others thinking that you are something that you are not, for the rest of their lives. Karma is everything. Ask Earl.

I have a lot of people look at one of my cars and ask me if it is something else. I think its amusing, and I politely correct them. You are not only a classic cars owner, you are its ambassador, and as such need to represent it in the best way possible.

As for sign boards, I've found that most people just dont look at them. They get so caught up in the excitement and the beauty of the vehicle, that the boards just usually get ignored.

And, well, morons will be morons, but you gotta be nice to them, because the next time you run into them, they may be touching your food - lol.

-
Back