Gas Tank Fix

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
Hey,
I found a gas tank that seem to be in good shape except for a gash. Its about the size of a pencil and as long as 7 to 8 inches. This tank has had no gas in it in years and does not have a smell. If I wanted to try to fix it WITHOUT KILLING MY SELF, WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST? Would you try lead or JB?

the old trick is to run the exhaust from a running car into it while you are welding it. a few brave? guys would throw a match into it to light off any remainder of fuel. more than likely, it will not blow up or catch fire if it has been empty for years and does not smell bad. You could braze it, or do a good job with a mig/tig welder, or even use a good amount of epoxy sealant.

aint worth the risk of blowing yourself up, just get a new one....

Seal all. I've used it before on a tank that had a bigger gash than what you described and it fixed it.

I have also welded up gas tanks. Fill em with water and runc exhaust threw em.They are hard to weld being thin.I would suggest brazing.

If you are determined to fix it, take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out first...they may even be able to fix it. Afterwards, they can put a sealer in it. Probably for less than what a new tank will cost once you are done... although maybe not as good a tank. Not worth it unless it's a beater. Otherwise, repair at your own risk. Be careful man.

they sell a 2 part epoxy just for fixing gas tanks, I used it on my old van and it worked fine held for a few years with no leaks until I junked it the big auto parts chain stores should carry it

-
Back