Gas tank for 1970 dart

-
The first one is the correct one for your car, but it's inferior as it has no vent.

The 2nd one is a definitely no-no, that's the 4-vent emissions style in 71, commonly known as CA emissions.

If you want the best direct-fit gas tank get the 72+ tank like the Spectra CR11E.
What you're looking for is the tank with the single vent line in the top-middle facing forward, above the sending unit. Best vent design of the stock tanks.

Last edited:
The first one is the correct one for your car, but it's inferior as it has no vent.

The 2nd one is a definitely no-no, that's the 4-vent emissions style in 71, commonly known as CA emissions.

If you want the best direct-fit gas tank get the 72+ tank like the Spectra CR11E.
What you're looking for is the tank with the single vent line in the top-middle facing forward, above the sending unit. Best vent design of the stock tanks.

Sir, I was reading your comments on the 4 vent gas tank and maybe your knowledge would help clear my concerns for my Dart. I have a 71 Dart that originally had a 4 vent tank. It needs to be replaced so my son bought one off the internet that was a single vent. In your opinion can I still use the single vent tank and make it work properly with the 4 vent setup or should I just order a new 4 vent and just R&R?

Sir, I was reading your comments on the 4 vent gas tank and maybe your knowledge would help clear my concerns for my Dart. I have a 71 Dart that originally had a 4 vent tank. It needs to be replaced so my son bought one off the internet that was a single vent. In your opinion can I still use the single vent tank and make it work properly with the 4 vent setup or should I just order a new 4 vent and just R&R?
Unless you are trying to restore your 71 to perfectly original I would not order the 4 vent fitting tank, the single vent tank you have now is superior. All you need to do is splice the single vent into the line that goes up to the passenger side fender in the engine bay. You can simply cut that line near the vent in your new tank and splice into it. At that point you can remove the vapor canister thing from the driver's side of the trunk and discard it

Just to be clear the vent line that goes to the passenger fender in the engine bay runs right along the front of the tank so very easy to cut and splice into.

Unless you are trying to restore your 71 to perfectly original I would not order the 4 vent fitting tank, the single vent tank you have now is superior. All you need to do is splice the single vent into the line that goes up to the passenger side fender in the engine bay. You can simply cut that line near the vent in your new tank and splice into it. At that point you can remove the vapor canister thing from the driver's side of the trunk and discard it

Just to be clear the vent line that goes to the passenger fender in the engine bay runs right along the front of the tank so very easy to cut and splice into.

Thanks Sir, very clear and helpful. Just saved me $150.00. I'm in your east county. If I have a question down the road I will reach out. Thanks again!

reach out to you. Excellent website.

-
Back