Gas Tank Liner remover

-

limegreen70

Pokorny Enterprise's
Reaction score
How do u remove old liner from a tank? It looks milky in color. Will acetone do the trick?

I took mine to the same radiator shop that installed it and they removed it. I don't know how they did it but they did. It let loose because the tank I bought was electroplated on the inside and I did not know it. It's so slick nothing will stick to it.

I took mine to the same radiator shop that installed it and they removed it. I don't know how they did it but they did. It let loose because the tank I bought was electroplated on the inside and I did not know it. It's so slick nothing will stick to it.
My friend works.in a rad shop. He said about hot tanking it. I'm not against paying to do that but if I could.find a cheaper solution

My friend works.in a rad shop. He said about hot tanking it. I'm not against paying to do that but if I could.find a cheaper solution
New tanks are pretty cheap. We cold tanked them. I forgot why. Hot tanking was out of the question. Galvinisation?

New tanks are pretty cheap. We cold tanked them. I forgot why. Hot tanking was out of the question. Galvinisation?
I know new tanks are a good option but mine don't look that bad and it's original. I like to reuse stock stuff when I can

Why was it "lined"? New is hardly noticeable from an O.E. perspective. Your call.
I think it was lined because someone just thought it was the thing to do. And it was done sort of half *** as well. If like to at least get it to come.up and see what it looks like underneath. Go from there.

i've never had luck with liners and even less luck removing them.

a friend of mine used acetone on a motorcycle tank. just filled it and let it sit for a few days rotating it every now and again. supposedly it worked in melting off the crappy liner, so that might be an option for ya.

I know new tanks are a good option but mine don't look that bad and it's original. I like to reuse stock stuff when I can

I understand your wish to keep the stock tank but it takes very little debris in the tank to completely foul up the filter sock on the sending unit resulting in a very bad day for you, especially on a road trip!
The replacement tanks, BTW , are made by Spectra and I think I read somewhere that they were the company who supplied the tanks to Chrysler originally.

-
Back