Gas tank vent hose have a check valve?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey:

Putting in a new gas tank today. I have the later 71 model in my car, but Vans sent the single hose vent deal.

I was going to connect the vent hose but was wondering if anyone knew of a good check valve to use?

I race the car, and figure I'll have enough problems if I end up upside down without all the gas draining out of the tank on to me.......

Thanks

Steve

It'd be better if you return the wrong tank and get the correct one for your '71. They are in current production—Spectra Premium #CR11D—and they cost the same as the incorrect CR11E tank you got, so why hack up your tank vent system (rather complex in '71) just because Van's couldn't be bothered to send you the correct part?

You may want to take the opportunity to swap in a '72-up fuel filler pipe to save yourself fuel cap hassles later on; see here. For info on the '71 fuel tank vent system, see here.

Thanks for the info. Wow! What a cluster.

I'm starting to understand why you see so many old Mopar street cars with fuel cells. I'm starting to think of putting one in mine.

I wonder if that "filled with vapor on fill up" chamber is why these thanks get so much rust inside. I'll bet that makes the shake and bake coating fix for rusty tanks not work at all well.

Did not know about the fuel cap either. Sheesh! That's a disaster waiting to happen. The practical if somewhat rammy solutin would be to go to a cell and tack weld the cap in place from the inside!

Thanks again for the info.

Steve

I'm starting to understand why you see so many old Mopar street cars with fuel cells

I don't see many old Mopar street cars with fuel cells. Why mess with a fuel cell? The correct drop-in-and-go tank is readily available and not too expensive.

I wonder if that "filled with vapor on fill up" chamber is why these thanks get so much rust inside

No, that's not it.

[qote]The practical if somewhat rammy solutin would be to go to a cell and tack weld the cap in place from the inside![/quote]

H'mm. Dropping in the correct tank and a '72-'76 filler neck with readily-available cap seems easier (more practical) to me, but go with what you know, I guess!

-
Back