gasket failure

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
1968 FASTBACK , 2" TTI headers , wrapped w/ lava rock header wrap , hi dollar rubber valve cover gasket w/ steel core , mopar performance valve covers . The #2 tube is so close , it`s burning the gasket up after a few miles of street driving. Any body ever experience this ?What did u do about it ? Andy, Iq52, or MRL ????? Anybody make any asbestos type gaskets that won`t leak ? sugestions appreciated .----bob

We all make mistakes,TTI included.I would contact Mike or Sam,Send them pictures of your problem. I had to do this on a "B" Hemi project.Passenger side fit fine.Driver side the collector was hitting the transmission pan rail.They sent another driver side pipe and fit was fine.They want to know if a problem exists so they can correct their jigs if they are off. Had this problem with Schumacher A big block headers on the passenger side.When notified Schumacher said they found that the jig was off 2 degrees and was glad to catch the problem.

If all else fails and you have enough room, in addition to your wrap, maybe fab a heat shield to go between? Or add a spacer to move the header out?

1968 FASTBACK , 2" TTI headers , wrapped w/ lava rock header wrap , hi dollar rubber valve cover gasket w/ steel core , mopar performance valve covers . The #2 tube is so close , it`s burning the gasket up after a few miles of street driving. Any body ever experience this ?What did u do about it ? Andy, Iq52, or MRL ????? Anybody make any asbestos type gaskets that won`t leak ? sugestions appreciated .----bob
Have you thought about not using a gasket and just the hi temp RTV sealant.I have seen it used to exhaust manifold to head before and never leaked?

Have you thought about not using a gasket and just the hi temp RTV sealant.I have seen it used to exhaust manifold to head before and never leaked?
Would be afraid of trying to go gasketless. Have enough trouble the way they are . Forgot to say , these are on a set of raised port alum. heads, I bought the headers used. The raised ports flow great, but agrivate every thing greatly. I put more wrap on #2 tube (looks like hell) glued a piece of header wrap to the cast valve cover, after clearancing it a little, and barely had room to cram a piece of thin aluminum in between the pipe and the cover, it so thin it will probly burn up quick. Still thinking of some kind of diff. gasket materiel. will eggshape the tube, and have the headers coated inside and out by jethot in okc if I ever have to pull them off. ( sure not wanting to do that!! thinking thicker header gaskets too. Waiting on more suggestions,---------- thanks guys.

Now I see.. Check with Remflex. They make very good and THICK header gaskets.

-
Back