Gasket Match ? Block to Timing Cover

-

73Duster422

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has gasket matched the timing cover to the block. Looking down inside there is a nasty step that could be easily removed with a die grinder.

By removing this, would it benifit the cooling any?

The red line on the pic represents the gasket / timing cover placement

SSPX0307---webDR.jpg

THe arguments could go either way... smoother flow for the coolant means more coolant taking more heat out. Or does it? You'll find that there is a school of thought that if the coolant goes to fast in and out of the block, it doesn't have time to transfer the heat.

In my opinin if you feel the need to do that, go for it, I doubt it'll hurt.

I'll probably end up doing it anyway. I have a 8 blade water pump which is suppose to flow more water for the use of aluminum heads. I might as well make the flow as non-turbulent as possible.

If nothing else it's a psychological gain in power.:-D

Thanks,
Mark

you may find overheating problems with the high flow water pump,I had overheating issues with one of them and tried restricting the flow which helped but wasnt good enough,went back to the old style water pump and problem solved

Millions of Mopars have lived fine without that mod... Its a waste of time.

Fast flow can = less time for the heat to transfer.

Do I think that mod will make the flow too fast? No I don't. I think it will do exactly nothing.

I agree. Total waste of time. I would never even think of doing that. You are going to end up with an overheating problem. Just like waggin said.

you may find overheating problems with the high flow water pump,I had overheating issues with one of them and tried restricting the flow which helped but wasnt good enough,went back to the old style water pump and problem solved

If someone uses a HF water pump, an HF thermostat must be used to or the water pump pressure will override the thermostat spring and push it closed.

waggin you are correct! I had the same problem with high flow water pumps. Went back to using the stock pumps and no more heat problems.

I'm thinking that this high flow pump I have now, will possibly only flow at the rate of a regular 6 blade. Just for the fact that I'm driving the water pump with only a 5" crank pully. (28 percent slower than stock)

Right now, the thing runs really hot with only the 360. I'm trying to make sure the stroker doesn't run the same way.

Changing back to a stock type water pump helped my engine temp come down. But I still wasn't satisfied with the engine temp in traffic. One day I talked to a guy who races stock cars. He told me all the racers use a product called "Water Wetter." Said it will keep my engine cooler. Now, during the summer months I run "Water Wetter." I run about a gallon or so of anti freeze (just to keep corrosion out) and the rest plain ol' water. Plus one bottle of "Water Wetter." My engine temp stays right around 180 degrees even on the hottest days.. Before using this product my engine temp would reach 210 degrees. I also run a 340 stroker and want it to continue to live. Heat kills.

I'll probably end up doing it anyway. I have a 8 blade water pump which is suppose to flow more water for the use of aluminum heads. I might as well make the flow as non-turbulent as possible.

If nothing else it's a psychological gain in power.:-D

Thanks,
Mark

The other thought is that maybe it shaves a few fractions of hp off the amount of power used to circulate coolant....

... its the psychological edge, which could be worth something in preservation of sanity.

-
Back