gassing it overflows?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
i dont trust gas station pumps anymore.

everytime i take my dart 2 the station and fill up, i cant trust the pump to do it. when it auto shuts off, a bunch of gas spews onto the quarter panel. no idea whats up. so i always have to do it myself an let it off before it overflows.

any idea whats going on with my car? its extremly annoying and prolly ruining the paint (or whats left of it anyway)...not to mention wastes gas!

I have the same problem. It is not your car that is at issue, rather the diameter of the gas pump nozzle/spout. Back in the day, the only gasoline you could get was "leaded". The "leaded" gas pump nozzles/spouts were a little smaller than the opening of our fuel filler neck openings, and were standard throughout the auto industry, and operated the same way as the nozzles/spouts do on our new cars.
When emmision standards come about after the '70's fuel crisis, one of the emmision controls was the catylitic converter, and because of the converter, they had to remove the "lead" in gasoline, as it would plug up the converter. When they came out with gas that was "non leaded", they changed the gas pump nozzles/spouts to the smaller diameter size so that the "non leaded" gas could not be put into the newer vehicles, which had the latest emmision controls on them.

When I got my 1966 Dart,someone had already modified the filler tube to a bigger diameter.They had cut the old one about 1/4 the way in then welded up the bigger tube.Gas filling is alot easier now.:cheers:

I think most stock filler necks on our a-bodies do it. I put gas in very slow so not to puke on rear fender. I also hold a rag at filler nozzle so it can puke on car.

my dad says on his 63 what hes gonna do is lift the filler hole on the body about 2-3inches so it wont spew i just hold it upsidedown and hold at 10 or 11 o clock.

I think you guys have this backwards!
Leaded Gas filler nozzles are larger diameter and Unleaded Gas filler nozzles are smaller diameter.
This prevents putting Leaded gas into an Unleaded gas car and ruining the Cat.

Later,
Bruce B.

i assume there is no easy bolt-out-bolt-in procedure do get the newer diameter?
It,s pretty easy to unbolt the filler neck from the 1/4 panel,then pull the tube from the tank seal.Cut the filler tube and weld or a piece of old rad hose with clamps.Reinstall,done.No more spewing/puking while filling up.Good luck.:read2:

It,s pretty easy to unbolt the filler neck from the 1/4 panel,then pull the tube from the tank seal.Cut the filler tube and weld or a piece of old rad hose with clamps.Reinstall,done.No more spewing/puking while filling up.Good luck.:read2:

now if only i had the tools and know-how to do that. anyone local willing to help me out here?!

-
Back