gauge light not working

-

Gabriel Larson

Reaction score
I picked up a 1970 dart swinger recently and have stared the processes of getting all the lights working. I noticed while driving at night that the right side of the gauge cluster the temp and fuel side was not lighting up. After contorting my self in ways That my body was never made for I change out the bulb and still no dice. I just wanted to get some more experienced opinions on the next steps to take. Any advice?

The contacts on the small sockets sometimes get "sprung" and need to be tweaked back out slightly to make good contact. Removing the cluster is a much easier choice.

the words I was afraid to hear "Removing the cluster" maybe I could live without seeing the temp or fuel for a while you know I mean its usually cooler at night and I got a phone to call someone for gas.

the words I was afraid to hear "Removing the cluster" maybe I could live without seeing the temp or fuel for a while you know I mean its usually cooler at night and I got a phone to call someone for gas.

Oh my Lord. You caint be serious. My wife could have it out in 15 minutes.

Loosen the column yoke to drop it down a few inches. Disconnect the battery, and the speedo cable from the back of the speedometer. Remove the cluster screws and CAREFULLY unplug the circuit board. Lift toward you and pivot to the left, as the ammeter wires will still be connected.

There are at least three different grounds on the circuit board that ground through screws into the pot metal dash cluster. One of those could be loose or dirty.

the plastic bulb sockets have 2 tiny tangs that hold their contacts against the circuit board. Tang will break off. Maybe you put a new bulb in a failed socket. Rally panel includes the climate controller so it is more difficult to R&R than the standard panel. I replaced all 8 bulbs and sockets in my rally panel while I had it out. There are several optional services you could do to prevent tomorrows panel R&R. Lube speedo cable, new wiper linkage bushings, wiper pivot grease and reseal, etc..

Just found out Detroit Muscle sell the right dash bulb sockets. $2 each. Great outfit to do business with & everything I have bought from them is high quality.

I did try switching to of sockets around it still do not work so I'm going to pull the gauge cluster Saturday and see what there is to see.

If you are interested in owning one of these girls you had better become "some sort" of mechanic, otherwise it will not only cost a LOT to hire it done, but "good luck" finding anyone who has or can learn the skills needed, or will actually take the time and care to do things "right"

If you don't have one a big start is to get a factory shop manual. You can download many of them free at MyMopar

-
Back