Gauges acting weird

-

mopar951

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1970 duster the temp gauge pegged all the over to the hot gas gauge don't work and alt gauge don't work just stays in the middle this just suddenly happened what could be wrong ?

First make sure all the grounds from battery to engine and engine to body are all clean and tight.
Then check your bulkhead and cluster connectors.
Could be a bad regulator for the guages too, but that wouldn't explain the amp guage.

The temp guage moving all the way to hot is an indication of a short to ground, but the other things indicate a bad connection.

The "alt gauge" (this is the ammeter) is a separate problem. Did this "just start" IE have you recently bought the car, or did it previously work? It might have been bypassed. Otherwise, the charging system is likely not working

There are several problems with gauges. If the temp gauge is pegging, unhook the sender on the engine and see if it drops back.

Could be a bad instrument regulator (IVR). This is a device in the cluster which regulates power to the temp and fuel gauge.

Hi I have a 1970 duster the temp gauge pegged all the over to the hot gas gauge don't work and alt gauge don't work just stays in the middle this just suddenly happened what could be wrong ?

I'm starting to wonder if this AND your no spark issue are related.

Does your Duster have a ralley dash? If it does the voltage limiter built into the gas gauge could have gone bad.

-
Back