Gauges only work when they want to?

-

nicoles

Reaction score
I have a 66 Barracuda and I've always have problems with the gauges . Some time they work fine and other times only the amp charging one works . They take turns as to what one comes on and what doesn't. I pulled the dash out and can't see any bad soider spots on the trails that connects them together . So whats up ? Is this normal? :violent1:

I assume what you are saying is that the temp and fuel gauge are giving problems?

There are a number of causes.

The harness connector to the cluster could be loose/ corroded/ ect

The pins on the PC board can be loose/ not making contact

The gauge voltage limiter (does not apply to Ralley dash) may not be making contact in it's "socket." The springy fingers forming the socket in the board may need to have jumper wires soldered between the brass fingers and the board

On either Rally/ non Rally dashes, the voltage limiter may simply be going bad. (inside and part of the fuel gauge on Ralley dashes)

The cluster may not have a good ground. Install a separate pigtail from one of the PC board ground / mounting screws, and bolt it to someplace like the column support

The gauges may not be contacting the board at the studs. Loosen tighten the mounting nuts of the gauge studs several times to "scrub them clean, better yet, put "real" nuts on 'em.

Check the sender wires for continuity, but since you have trouble with both, it's more likely troubles up in the cluster

Questions.. fuel gauge has 3 posts ? Top center post has a wierd looking metal clip cover ?

Thanks for all the things to check . when I drop the dash I was kind of afraid to mess any thing up in it. but now I 'll drop it again and realy go over it good . and since you said it could be a ground .That brought back a problem that I had with a 62 Falcon when I lost all the lights driving home one night. Took me a week of looking till a friend that had the same problem showed me a hidden ground under the back of the front seat under the carpet. I don't remember if the gas gauge had 3 pins or not.

I can tell you that your gauge housing is stamped steel rather than pot metal or plastic. It grounds via its contact to the dash though hardware so there isn't a ground wire to be found and fixed. Just keep in mind that it will not function while dangling from the harness connectors unless you attach a temporary ground wire. a perminant dedicated ground wire is recommended. good luck with it.

-
Back